Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 10:59 AM

Default Re: doing fun stuff with kids

yahyah, but...

Has anyone got any stories about doing fun stuff or living through hell with kids. Their own or borrowed ones?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yahyah, but...

Has anyone got any stories about doing fun stuff or living through hell with kids. Their own or borrowed ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister is 12 years younger than me. But so different than me that we dont go do fun stuff. She's more into doing her hair and makeup or shopping. She doesnt dig board games or arcades, or flying kites etc... I think I already do a bunch of stuff that kids like to do anyway.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:04 PM

Diebitter, kudos to you for giving your kids lots of attention. I have two daughters ages 7 and 11 and we have lots of fun. We try to stay away from the violent stuff, war games, battles, etc...(not criticizing just my own personal philosophy). We live where the weather is nice so most of our fun is outdoor and water related. The greatest joy of my life has been wasting countless days playing and exploring the beach together. When they were tiny it was exploring tide pools, building sand castles, and flying kites. Now my oldest is a full fledged grommet and the little one just caught her first wave and rode it to shore last October. I don't think the specific activity is as important as just being there and being present every moment. Those moments make all the worry, financial commitment, and lack of a social life worth it. Savor every second!
Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 PM

Sorry if my post got sappy. It's easy to get caught up in the proud daddy stuff.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yahyah, but...

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing nearly as cool as that, but last Christmas I did become my step-nephews' superhero when I paid a huge amount to get them an Xbox 360 off of Ebay when they first came out. Man, I miss my balla days.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:40 PM

I have a niece, and I spend a lot of time teaching her to swim, bribing her to get over her fears (if you dive correctly I'll get you a DS - she does a greg lougainis impersonation with no splash), and teaching her math and physics concepts.

I guess I tend to be more like "Bill Nye the Science Guy" than an athletic instructor, but it's good. I had her take apart some old hard drives to kinda see what's going on in there, and had to have her listen to some Feynman lectures about magnetism since she didn't believe that it was stronger than gravity as a force.

When her mechanical ability as far as math is concerned catches up to her conceptual understanding, I'll be out of material. In the mean time, it's neat to have a 7 year old around sometimes that understands the world better than most adults.