Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Turn Decision

[ QUOTE ]
Villain had shown down A6s after making a similar sized raise from EP. No particular read.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1500 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)

UTG (t49783)
UTG+1 (t63443)
Hero (t55796)
MP2 (t15723)
CO (t35335)
Button (t9761)
SB (t20035)
BB (t20183)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J, A.
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to t3700, Hero calls t3700, 5 folds.

Flop: (t10250) Q, K, 2 (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero ?

This is the 3rd hand in a row that I've coldcalled in position against 3 separate opponents. I pushed over the cbet in the first one, folded to the cbet of the 2nd one. More streets to come.

[/ QUOTE ]

Turn: (t10250) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG+1 bets 10500, Hero?

Convertor messed up pot size on flop, it is supposed to be 10250, but is ~8k in the original post.

I checked flop because I hate getting c/r'd on the flop. If he c/r's AI, I won't be getting proper odds to draw, if he just c/r's like 3x, I'll be putting that 3x into the pot behind. When I check flop, it's not like I relinquish the pot to villain, I may still be able to win the pot on the turn w/ a bet, unimproved, after I take a free card on the flop.

I wouldn't expect most players to check the flop in his spot if he held a set/KQ/AK/AA, I would say his range is mostly made up of small flushes and hands that hate this flop, w/ the latter being more likely (more hand combos of hands that missed this flop than two [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hands).
Old 01-31-2007, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Stars 100k, AJo/combo draw

If you were both deeper RR'ing would be fine. Calling is ok here. Definitely bet 4500-5500 on the flop but be prepared to fold to a check raise indicating a set or top 2 rather than any worse draw.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:09 PM

I think re-popping this PF is the way to go given the read, dumping it is a little WT.

As played I think you need to lead the flop, you have a pretty big hand, and given read he could be doing this with a weaker ace or pairs 77+.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:30 PM

I hate repopping preflop. No worse hand calls you. You're turning your hand into 72o. If you repop preflop, you should be doing it with any two cards. STOP RERAISING MARGINAL HANDS.

That said, I fold most times preflop and call sometimes. On this flop, bet/3bet.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:45 PM

gobbo, flop pot is about 10k, if I 7.5k, and he c/r to 22k, I don't think he folds any part of that c/r range to a shove to 52k? I would think the purpose of betting my AJ on the flop would be to fold out hands like underpairs to the board/whiffed hands/and usually Qx, but can't all that be accomplished w/ a bet or raise on the turn?

Maybe i should put a small bet out there on flop to induce a c/r from hands that'll fold to a 3bet. Like 4k bet/3b. Thoughts? Also, turn?
Old 01-31-2007, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Turn Decision

Once you check the flop and villain bets the turn, I probably fold, but you could call. Your draw is no longer very strong.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate repopping preflop. No worse hand calls you. You're turning your hand into 72o. If you repop preflop, you should be doing it with any two cards. STOP RERAISING MARGINAL HANDS.

That said, I fold most times preflop and call sometimes. On this flop, bet/3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with reraising marginal hands. It is just that AJo is bad for calling a raise in early position and worse for reraising. You just need to fold the "trouble hand".

If you were going to make a loose reraise here, it would be better to do it with a suited connector. Also, despite the fact that villain raises loosely, this is not a good spot for a loose reraise, regardless of your cards. In fact, if you had AA, this is not a great situation to reraise, and flat calling might be better.

If you don't reraise marginal hands, your reraises become more readable, and you don't put maximum pressure on your opponents.