Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Help with losing Internet connection

I have the almost same set up for the past year. The exact same setup for the past three months. I'm getting a dropped connection or timeout error, mostly on Pokerstars.

What happens is I'm connected on Stars, and I'm generally playing a couple of games on Absolute as well. I also am always running Pokertracker Omaha, PAHUD. Almost always I have Firefox running, and Outlook. Sometimes I'm playing a Holdem tourney as well and will have Pokertracker Hold'em as well.

My computer is one year old. It has Athlon 3500+ processor, 1gig Ram, 200 GB HD. I switched from DSL to cable about 3 months ago.

The problems only started about one month ago. I have made no configuration changes or added new software.

My three theories

1) Cable Internet sucks, and I should switch back to DSL. I really don't want to do this; cost more and migration effort.
2) My Pokertracker DB's are two big and slow down performace that it times out.
3) Stars has gotten too big and needs to upgrade its servers. Why upgrade network if you might pull out of market.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Help with losing Internet connection

This happens to me also, and only on Stars. It is not my internet connection as the internet still works and stars cuts out. This happens when PT is importing hands.

So I am not sure what cuases it but I think it is because my PT database got too big and this is causing Stars to timeout.

But the strange thing is that it only happens at Stars. I can play at Party and Stars at the same time and when PT imports the hands, only Stars will "freeze" up and disconnect but Party will be fine.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:57 PM

I had my first Stars timeout yesterday. I always convert my PT databases to PostGRE right away, and use a different db for each limit. I just changed the limit I play, so it's guaranteed it's not a db size issue at least in my case (<2k hands). I'd blame stars, although your internet connection could suck as well.

Weather DSL or Cable is better depends on your specific circuit. In some places DSL is better, faster, and/or more reliable; 2 miles down the road cable could be better, faster, and more reliable. 6 months from now either could oversell the circuit you're on and become worse than the other. There are no service guarantees for residential broadband connections for the most part, so if it's an internet connectivity problem, you either need to suck it up and stay w/ what you've got, go through the hassle of changing ISP's, or spend 3-10 times as much for a commercial grade connection w/ uptime and bandwidth guarantees, be it SDSL, T1 or fractional T1, etc. I've had both SDSL and T1's at my house before. Service was outstanding, but the bill was $300+/mo for less downstream bandwidth than a $40 ADSL consumer-grade connection. I'm currently on a residential, generic, cheap ADSL line and it burps every couple weeks. My Stars timeout last night was not a result of a ADSL line problem.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Is there any chance you are running a wireless network in your house? XP likes to periodically hunt for a "better" network and that can cause you to lose connection to your network for a few moments.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any chance you are running a wireless network in your house? XP likes to periodically hunt for a "better" network and that can cause you to lose connection to your network for a few moments.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but my computer (desktop) doesn't even have a wireless card. I've been using the same network setup, with the exception of converting to cable from DSL for over a year now.

I've mailed Stars support and posted on the Pokertracker forum as well.

Still no help [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]