Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 PM

Default ATs heads up -- oh what to do?

<font color="blue"> Short-handed poker is way outside of my comfort zone. Please provide advice, as it seems to be the only way to play at a table with &gt;30% VPIP is to start a new one.

Villain had shown himself to be Laggy -- has raised some pretty mediocre holdings preflop. </font>

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

<font color="blue"> ATs is way above this guy's raising range. </font>

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

<font color="blue"> I took villain's raise as a potential second blind steal attempt -- figured I would know very soon if he had a K. </font>

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

<font color="blue"> No turn raise = no K = I'm probably still ahead? </font>

River: (8.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="blue"> Probably still ahead? </font>

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
Old 01-30-2007, 11:42 PM

Default Re: ATs heads up -- oh what to do?

I think the flop 3-bet is spraying, and the river bet is bad.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the flop 3-bet is spraying, and the river bet is bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your line is b/c, c/c (or b/f), c/f?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:06 AM

Depending on how spazzy the dude is I think I would make up my mind whether or not I was showing down after his flop raise.

If I made up my mind that I was taking this all the way, I would check and call after that.

The river bet is bad because he can practically never call with a worse hand and he'll never fold a better one, (even if he's got no pair), after making it that far.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:10 AM

**grunch**

I don't play much short-handed either, so take that into account here.

Pre-flop - ATs has value against a laggy villian's raising range. The problem from the SB is that you are OOP for the rest of the hand, but I don't hate the 3bet to knock out the BB and get it HU against laggy villian.

Flop - Given your 3bet PF, I c-bet this with an overcard, a BDFD and a BDSD. After villian raises the flop though, I think I call and reevaluate the turn - I don't see this as a second steal attempt. A flop 3bet seems like spew to me.

Turn - If you had b/c the flop, I'd check and fold here, waiting for a better opportunity against this villian. As played, I think you have to throw in a bet here and pray for a fold because you only have A high with no re-draws.

River - Villian seems like he is going to show this down, he hasn't folded to your continued aggression. I don't like putting any more money in this pot, so I check and hope for a free showdown. If villian bets the river, I can find a fold here and wait for a better opportunity against this villian.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> Short-handed poker is way outside of my comfort zone. Please provide advice, as it seems to be the only way to play at a table with &gt;30% VPIP is to start a new one.

Villain had shown himself to be Laggy -- has raised some pretty mediocre holdings preflop. </font>

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls.

<font color="blue"> ATs is way above this guy's raising range. </font>

Flop: (7 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls.

<font color="blue"> I took villain's raise as a potential second blind steal attempt -- figured I would know very soon if he had a K. </font>

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="blue"> No turn raise = no K = I'm probably still ahead? </font>

River: (8.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="blue"> Probably still ahead? </font>

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't randomly up your aggression just because you're playing 6-max. Bring your full ring game over and just be mindful of the fact that everyone else is more aggressive on average. Review your hands and see where you may have missed bets. Don't just start 3-betting ace high on the flop, and don't bet the river when your hand is very close to the boundary between villain's calling and folding range.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:52 AM

Don't 3bet the flop. Even a retarded villain will not fold in this situation to your 3bet. I would just call this down. If villain was nittish (which isn't the case here), i don't mind raising the turn and checking behind.