Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Real boring hand.....

but my full ring game play, especially live, is rusty and I need some criticisms to get me fired up.

First day in Arizona, in a filthy $40/$80 half kill game (although my boys told me this game is actually not that great by Arizona standards, amazing to me!) People calling many bets with many long shot draws and a lot of head scratchers as well (the J8o call 2 cold peel with the K 9 5 rainbow flop stands out).

Preflop: Three morons limp, I limp on the button with Qc9c, small blind completes, big blind checks.

Flop: 9 8 6 two hearts. Checked to first limper who bets. I don't think he has missed a flop bet yet. 2nd limper calls instantly, 3rd limper folds. What's my action here and my plan for the rest of the hand?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Real boring hand.....

I'd call and raise a lot of turn cards, fold some.

Rob
Old 01-30-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-30-2007, 04:36 PM

so no point in raising the flop to get the blinds out or at least clarify what draws i am up against?
Old 01-30-2007, 04:43 PM

I kind of prefer a flop raise. The pot is only 7 sb at this point, so you could cut down the odds of the blinds to 7 to 2 here. You have an overcard and redraws on some of the scary turn cards, and I think you'd really prefer this three-handed instead of five. I think the value of protecting against some crappy one or two overcard (or ass straight) type hands on the flop is more valuable than what you get from waiting until the turn.

If the blinds weren't still around, or you didn't have the overcard and redraws, I might wait until the turn. Here, you have a clear protection advantage to gain on the flop and a lot of the seemingly bad turn cards aren't so bad that you want to keep from seeing the river. Raising now might even let you see a river free when the turn likely hits someone else hard.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so no point in raising the flop to get the blinds out or at least clarify what draws i am up against?

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot about the blinds. I guess it might be closer now....Thing is while your hand is very vulnerable this board is so drawy that you're really not going to get either of them to fold anything legit, just single over type things which they might even fold for two bets when you pop the turn.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd raise the flop and take it from there. I really hate the idea of calling the flop with this hand in this specific situation. If the blinds magically disapeared from the hand and I was closing the action on the flop then I think calling the flop and seeing what the turn brings is much better than raising. With both blinds still active behind us I'm convinced raising the flop is the best play.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but my full ring game play, especially live, is mediocre at best and I need some criticisms to get me fired up

[/ QUOTE ]
Just call the flop and see what develops. Giving the board and our holding we just can't tell yet if we going to be active on the turn. If turn bricks(but whats a brick) and we 3 handed or less i would raise it but there are way too many cards that would make me fold that hand on the turn.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but my full ring game play, especially live, is mediocre at best and I need some criticisms to get me fired up

[/ QUOTE ]
Just call the flop and see what develops. Giving the board and our holding we just can't tell yet if we going to be active on the turn. If turn bricks(but whats a brick) and we 3 handed or less i would raise it but there are way too many cards that would make me fold that hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

loooool, a donkey calls me mediocre, I guess I'll take that as a compliment.

Anyway, I ended up calling here. I just felt the pot equity with my specific hand was too low for me to raise, being up against flush draws and hands like T9 or T8, etc.

Anyway small blind called and the big blind mucked. Turn 2d. Checked to the better who bet, 2nd limper called and I raised. small blind called two cold and the others called.

River Ah. Checked to 2nd limper who bets, I turbo muck small blind calls other limper mucks. 2nd limper shows black A7o, small blind shows Th2h and scoops it.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:27 PM

I like raising the flop here to get out blinds. When playing against 4 morons there's such a wide range of hands that each of them could have. With a raise on the flop I know better where I'm at.