Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2007, 02:23 AM

Default Re: does the deck \"change\"? poker\'s version of schrodinger\'s cat

[ QUOTE ]
Hm I read the link I posted, it doesn't really apply to this case as much as I thought it would. Basically, the idea is one universe for each set of outcomes for things that are truly random. Your job at the poker table is to figure out which universe you are more likely to be in [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Keep making the correct decisions and you'll be ahead in a majority of these universes... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 01-30-2007, 02:40 AM

you're wrong, but it might help you sleep
Old 01-30-2007, 02:48 AM

I have never ever studied pysics but I like classical pysics, it just seems right to me.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:49 AM

Multiverse is something different, you're looking for Many Worlds.

I think the many worlds interpretation is lame - it doesn't really "explain" anything, it just ignores Ockham's Razor and infinitely multiplies entities to define the problem out of existence. Unless there's some way to prove the existence of these other universes, I don't think it's a much better explanation than "God did it".

I like the Transactional Interpretation - there is a Wiki article on it but it's pretty incomprehensible. If you're interested, I recommend "Schroedinger's Kittens" by John Gribbin for an easily understood overview.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 PM

There are two forms of uncertainty in quantum mechanics. One is related to the fact that a given state doesn't predict a pre-determined value for some observable -- i.e. whether the cat is alive or not.

The 2nd type of uncertainty is simply due to a lack of knowledge of the actual state of the system.

Both are fundamental, but the 2nd type also exists in classical mechanics, and it is this type that exists in a shuffled deck. I.E. all practical uncertainties in a shuffled deck come from ignorance of the full state, rather than the fact that the state is a superposition.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this is NOT an argument that the cards in the deck have x probability of physically moving through each other. This is an argument that, until a measurement is made on the deck, each card is a superposition of all cards that have not been measured.

[/ QUOTE ]
YES. this is exactly what i'm trying to say. posters talking about walking thru walls or thinking that i believe leaving a deck stacked in a certain order, then coming back to the room and expecting the order to have changed are completely missing the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone more knowledgable in QP can correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I understand. In some interpretations of QP, quantum particles really do have a specific position and velocity, but we just cannot know them both simultaneously. The process of measuring one of the variables changes the other, and it is impossible (probably) to construct a measuring device that does not have this problem. On the other hand, with playing cards, we absolutely can measure both the velocity and position of the objects. This is why the deck is determined once it is shuffled.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw quantum physics isnt neccesarrilly correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, but it is possibly the most-verified theory in all of physics. It makes stunningly accurate predictions that have been checked time and time again.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:03 PM

The state of the cat is determined by whether a single unobserved quantum event did or did not happen, so you could say it is both dead and alive in superposition. A deck of cards is nothing like that, obviously.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Btw quantum physics isnt neccesarrilly correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily, but it is possibly the most-verified theory in all of physics. It makes stunningly accurate predictions that have been checked time and time again.

[/ QUOTE ]

They said the same thing about physics in the 1890s.