Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Stars Takes No Action Against Players Cheating In SNG

Don't think the buy is relevant. $11 SNG may be large to him. You think the action should be different if buy in was $1000+ or larger?
Old 01-29-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't think the buy is relevant. $11 SNG may be large to him. You think the action should be different if buy in was $1000+ or larger?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The main thing is that players in a $11 are very likely to be inexperienced newbies. When it happened to me in a $109, the player who did it was pretty bad at poker, so I figured he's likely a newbie. If a regular did it, my reaction would be different.

Also, yes again to punishment being more severe when larger sums of money are involved. We don't treat shoplifters identically to bank robbers in the real world.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 AM

btw I agree that along with a warning, some small financial restitution should be made in the situation described by the OP. The rules are on their website, thus it should not be allowed for a player to ignore them without any penalty whatsoever.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
btw I agree that along with a warning, some small financial restitution should be made in the situation described by the OP. The rules are on their website, thus it should not be allowed for a player to ignore them without any penalty whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which rule dictates that someone who breaks it must pay financial restitution? There is no specific rule governing this situation other than "it is not allowed" and there is no penalty on the books (other than issueing warnings based on the history of the players). Every rule, even in tournaments, based on stuff like this gives the director the right to make a judgement call. Why should this be any different?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The main thing is that players in a $11 are very likely to be inexperienced newbies. When it happened to me in a $109, the player who did it was pretty bad at poker, so I figured he's likely a newbie. If a regular did it, my reaction would be different.

Also, yes again to punishment being more severe when larger sums of money are involved. We don't treat shoplifters identically to bank robbers in the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]

So we can't have a table full of experienced $11 SNGers?
I disagree. And what if $10,000 to blow on a tournament is nothing to me and I am inexperienced and I break the rules? Can we then say that no action be taken because I was inexperienced?

THe REAL world response to shoplifting or bankrobbing depends on where and when(in time) that you live. Depending on these variables you could lose life and limb for either.

Besides, your analogy suggests that their rule infractions were INTENTIONAL.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:44 AM

the fact that there have been so many posts in this thread proves that this situation requires subject interpretation.

stars, using the information available to them, have made such a subjective intepretation.

if you (OP) disagrees with that subjective intepretation, you should contact them and share your views. that's really all there is to this - some people (such as I) agree with stars, and others don't.

there's no black/white answer here, and people who are suggesting otherwise are being caught up in their own importance.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:34 AM

So did the "talker" show the hand down, or was he bluffing trying to win the tournament? Is it only cheating if he is telling the truth?

Is it wrong to "bluff" with table talk? Especially online, where there are no physical tells? I have often felt like typing "I have KK" when I really do, before pushing a small stack late in a tournament that I know both blinds and any Ax are going to call and bust me out. Would that be cheating? I did that live once with AA and KK called anyway and busted me out, no one complained about it then.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:56 AM

I don't agree that the amount of money that was at stake should determine what the appropriate action is. The rules should protect the low limit players equally. I also think it does not matter if those players were aware of the fact that they are breaking the rules.
A simple warning might still be in order. That is hard to say if we don't know all the facts including the mucking player's hand.

[ QUOTE ]
We don't treat shoplifters identically to bank robbers in the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stealing and robbery are two very different crimes. The reason they are punished differently is the not the amount of money involved.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:26 AM

Players agree to the rules when they sign up whether they read them or not. If a player does something like this and didn't know it what wrong, its the players own fault and should still be punished.