Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: The Sushi Thread

Hi PJ,

I prefer not to do the all you can eat sushi, as you tend to end up eating way too much rice. I prefer Chirashi Sushi, which is basically nice size pieces of fish on top of rice, served in a bowl. It usually is offered for the same price as most of the all you can eat, but with more fish.

As for rolls, I prefer hand rolls to cut, as again, you tend to get more meat than rice.

I agree with lite soy sauce, and Hot Sake for winter months, sapporo for summer.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a pretty good one in Japantown in San Francisco. I'm not sure about other major cities.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to live two blocks away and wander down there for a quick bite. The noodle shop in Japantown is pretty good too.

i think the key to mixing wasabi/soy sauce is to make sure you end up with a paste consistency, rather than soy sauce with clumps of wasabi, this will ensure that all of your dips are consistent and delicious...

place yoru desired amount of wasabi in clean dish, add a small amount of soy sauce, mix until you have a very thick paste, add a small amount of soy sauce, mix again...continue adding small amounts of soy sauce until you get the desired consistency/strength...enjoy...

this takes longer than normal, but is definitely worth it...

everything sushi is my neighborhood of eating.

one difference from joker is a like spicy mayo on the side and in large quantities on my rolls and ponsue sauce on my nigiri. great thread! if you're in boston Jaes is the best for sushi i think and now i can't help it... going to get sushi.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should mention that sushi snobs (also the type who look down at people who use chopsticks, since many like to just use fingers) are often insufferable and I hope they don't permeate this thread too much. I'm just a guy who likes to go eat some sushi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont take my comment about your choice of rolls as snobbery, I just think that there's soooo much variety out there and good sushi chefs are doing so much with crazy different flavors that it seems silly to stick to the blander choices of rolls.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:49 PM

Unagi is very palatable, as it tastes something like teriyaki fish on rice. I don't know if that's the best way to ease into raw fish though, since, well... it's not raw fish. I think regular tuna is a good starter since it's pretty neutral tasting. Go to a half-decent sushi place and the tuna won't smell fishy. Yellow tail would be okay too.

Sushi is awesome -- just don't get weirded out by the texture of the raw fish and you'll be all right.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its only fish content is imitation crab, which is just alaskan pollock.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some brands (usually the ones from Japan) use bream or croaker.

[ QUOTE ]
And the eel is warm, so it doesn't taste as raw as other sushi cuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also doesn't taste raw because it is always cooked [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Other cooked items that might seem safer to people who don't want to venture too far afield include shrimp, which is also almost always cooked. Most places will also have rolls that feature tempura cooked items.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM

thirddan,

That seems like WAY too much wasabi. Really thick? It seems like the wasabi would completely dominate.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:56 PM

listen, the rule for soy sauce is NOT really the ratio, make that to your own test. but please, everybody start using 1/3 the amount of each you are currently using. your soy sauce mixture should NOT be covering the entire bottom of the sauce tray.

also, never leave your chopsticks sticking in any food (this is only done for diseased) NOR hand food chopstick to chopstick between people. it is the same as dumping food from your spoon onto someone elses food.

lastly, get some money, go to a NICE sushi bar and literally just let the chef make you things for a night. the biggest deal for sushi is to get to know your chef well, you will begin to see real dividends. when you are being given special cuts (tuna gills, $100/piece) just for your friendship you will be happy.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dont take my comment about your choice of rolls as snobbery, I just think that there's soooo much variety out there and good sushi chefs are doing so much with crazy different flavors that it seems silly to stick to the blander choices of rolls.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, and if a place offers a good spider roll (soft shell crab) or something then I'm all about it. It just depends on the place -- each one has their own specialty, etc. I just go with those bland ones as a default, especially since I eat so much sushi at mid-tier places (I love the stuff and I can't afford to eat at really nice places often enough to satiate my appetite) and need to have go-to, trustworthy rolls. It's hard to mess up a spicy tuna roll.

As for cooked fish, like the above poster mentioned, some places will do a cooked albacore on top of a california roll, and that's fairly great. I don't like tempura.