Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 01:41 PM

Default Getting maximum value out of AA in the BB in steal situations.

Situation
The button with a huge stack (11000) min raises on the button.

Your in the BB with 3300 and would like to double up with your AA.

Blinds are 75 and 150.

Button Min Raises to 300, and has been stealing quite a bit lately since he is the chip leader and the next closest person has 6k.

What do you do and why?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Getting maximum value out of AA in the BB in steal situations.

Have you seen him call a resteal?
Have you restolen yourself and, if so, did you showdown?
Old 01-29-2007, 02:26 PM

Depends on how he plays flops and how he deals with people playing back at him pf.

I know that if he made it 450 and was fairly aggro post flop, I'd call pf and check any flop to him.

In any case, this is a read based spot, but generally I have no problem slow playing this with a call or, under certain circumstances, a really weak RR pf.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Well I am pretty positive he would call a reasonable RR to like 600 if I did that, and I am also 100% positive he would bet 2/3 the pot if I called and checked.

My question then becomes how to make the most $$$ and the WHY.

If you call, check then let him bet you can at least represent the board. Maybe a club flush and maybe he would call, but my point is not to get an additional 500 chips, I want to go broke, or have him go broke.

Since noone has played back at him while he was stealing, I would prefer to save that playback move until I have a crap hand and not waste it on AA.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:00 PM

Actually my question is would you expect to make more money "walking the dog" or "betting and hoping he is not really stealing"

Walking the dog is just my check, call, check call, value river bet to make as much as possible.

The Check Calling, is call, check to him, let him do his continuation bet, call, check and let him steal again, Reraise here and go to the river?
Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 PM

If he's calling a raise pre-flop, then raise and check the flop. The more pot=your stack on the flop, the more chance you have to get the rest in over the next three streets. Whether he hits or not. If you call, he's going not going to be committed with air after a standard c-bet.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:36 PM

You're probably not going to double up unless he actually has a hand so I prefer to just raise preflop and hope he's not stealing.

I would make my raise a little bigger than normal so it looks like you don't want him to call, maybe to something like 1200 or 1300. This also could give him the impression you're saving enough chips to "get away" in case he really has a hand, which might tempt him to play back at you.

More than likely if he was just stealing he's going to fold but I would raise anyway. Even if he doesn't call the raise he might stop picking on you and just pick on the softer targets for a few rounds.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:47 PM

I re-raise preflop for two reasons

1) I have AA and want to start building the pot
2) I'm OOP for the rest of the hand so she's more likely to think I don't want action and call with marginal holdings.

On the flop I lead out for three reasons -
1) I want to keep building the pot
2) I often make continuation bets so when I lead out an observant opponent won't get a lot of useful information
3) It gives me more information on my opponents hand. He had the option to fold, call, or re-raise and if I check he will likely default to the 2/3 pot bet as you mentioned which gives me no really useful information.

My read on the opponent and the texture of the board will decide the size of both the preflop reraise and the post flop bet. Considerations would be does she like drawing hands? Has she called larger reraises in position previously? Will she view a big bet or a small bet as a sign of weakness? Will she call down with middle pair? My lead will vary from 1/3 the pot to pot sized depending on these factors.