Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 03:10 AM

Default Re: Phil Ivey Gossip

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't change the quote. I know how to spell you [censored] [censored] nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wanna spell heads up for any amount? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime.

[ QUOTE ]
LOOOOOOOOOOL, you need to calm down.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] you. Grammar/spelling nazis suck.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Getting an edge is what it is all about. Maybe Ivey didn't play a round in the preceding months, the truth, and disclosed it while not disclosing the recent amount of practice and lessons. These guys were hungry to take him down and negotiated a bad match. Further, it's likely Ivey played within the bounds of his substantial bankroll while they were above the limits of their own...a recipe for disaster. And great stuff for the gossip forum. Go Phil go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the thing...let's say we meet at the WSOP, become friendly, and agree to play tennis together for $5K a set.

You tell me that you were the No. 1 singles player in a high-school, and I state that I am a 3.5-USTA-ish parks player. We agree on a spot to level the match based on that (let's say I get to use the doubles court, or you only get one-fault on serve). Then once we start playing you realize I am much better than a 3.5-ish parks player--that the way I am playing indicates I am much better than a 3.5-player could EVER play, even on a great day--I'm maybe a 4.0 or 4.5! You realize that, with the spot you agreed to, based on what you thought was my honest information, you have zero chance of winning. Would you feel cheated based on the way I first represented my skill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I know next to nothing about golf betting, but some people here have made it seem as if lying about one's handicapp is grounds for cancelling the bet. Is this an established rule in the majority of situations, or is it just a few guys "house rule".

To equate, in pool, everyone lies about how good they are, it's almost part of the game, certainly not cause for not paying up. Is this the same situation in Golf?

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the key point. Lying about your handicap in golf isn't a "clever hustle" or "doing whatever it takes to win." Its pretty much cheating. Its not like that analogy with him lying about his hand at poker.

A better analogy would be this: Two boxing trainers are talking about their lightweight fighters and decide to have a match. They place a wager on it. After the match we find out that one trainer brought a middleweight fighter instead of a lightweight and lied about it.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A better analogy would be this: Two boxing trainers are talking about their lightweight fighters and decide to have a match. They place a wager on it. After the match we find out that one trainer brought a middleweight fighter instead of a lightweight and lied about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst. Analogy. Ever.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OBV TRICK COACHING

[/ QUOTE ]

that guy's right arm is scaring the hell out of me.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OBV TRICK COACHING

[/ QUOTE ]

that guy's right arm is scaring the hell out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Torn off by an alligator.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:48 AM

apollo and rocky golfing??
Old 01-29-2007, 05:53 AM

it wouldnt surprise me if these poker pros are hustling people at the golf course and doing it to suppliment their poker income. rumor has it that doyle has made unbelievable amounts of money playing golf. its very easy to hustle people when people see you as a degenerate gambler who has millions and millions of dollars. most would figure that ivey and doyle are huge losers on the golf course and therefore get in over their heads gambling with them.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
its very easy to hustle people when people see you as a degenerate gambler who has millions and millions of dollars. most would figure that ivey and doyle are huge losers on the golf course and therefore get in over their heads gambling with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially when you see Doyle walking with a crutch.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the shock by all you people. Ivey is a poker player, taking people's money is his job. You people make Ivey out to be like mother teresa when we all know most poker players would hustle their grandma if they could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of if Ivey is in the right or wrong here (and if the rumor is true, I would most definitely consider it wrong), this is just a stupid statement. Phil Ivey's job is to take people's money, but does that give him permission to mug some old man and take his wallet? His job is to take people's money ON THE POKER TABLE.

As others eluded to, this would not be a "hustle" as much as it would be flat out cheating.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:01 AM

Reply from Marc Goodwin over on Blondepoker

-----------------
Hi all, i have been asked to reply to Kanos thread re golf game in Australia. On the basis that his post begins self-indulgent. semi-successful, boastful etc don't ask me how but i had an idea how his post may go, in poker terms he gave his hand away. If he had read i was the cause of climate control and poverty in the Third World i guess he would of just jumped in and slagged me off. Sorry i digress, but i feel better!! It is difficult to know where to start as he is so factually incorrect: I last saw Eric Sagstrom in Vegas in April 2006 so he never walked off after 9 holes and he may deserve an apology on the basis that "he had no intention of paying" for a game he never attended. (IMO) Kano and others may disagree.

At the start of the game we said to Phil that as we haven't played for 3 months and he must have improved we need to adjust the handicaps. We could not agree and we were doomed to no game until Ram said "does Eric Lingdren still give you 10 shots" to which Phil replied yes!!On that piece of information we had a game. As we always bitch about handicaps throughout the match Phil suggested that we agree to play 18 holes with no adjustment and then adjust for the next series of games. We agreed . I had 7 pars and a birdie back nine( even though i stormed off after 7 holes in a rage) and we lost 8 holes as they were 9 under for the last 7 holes. as anyone who plays golf would know when playing better ball doubles it is very hard to win by 3 or more holes , they finished 14 up lol. We have had the better of Phil in golf games over the last year but our biggest victory was 3 up. We had been spanked but arranged a new revised game later that week. We went out together that night (even though we have severed ties and have all this supposed ill feeling). Later on we met Eric who informed us that he gives Phil NO SHOTS. We therefore felt aggrieved and Ram asked Phil for an apology. As to wether we pay or not will be discussed in Vegas in April when we next meet. Let me put this question to you all. If i had turned up with a pro golfer and Phil said do you get shots off Eric, we said yes 10 . We played and won then he found out should he pay even a penny? If you think that he has been hustled not cheated and its just unlucky then you must be of the opinion that we should pay. In saying that If when we meet and we cant agree we will probably pay and sever ties. To gain an edge yes to win at all costs no thankyou. I will let you all know the outcome this April.