Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Help me out?

I am not sure if this appropriate to post here but I figured there are probably some people in this forum that could possibly help me out.

I will be finishing school this spring and will be getting a bachelor's degree in psychology. I am so tired of going to school that I do not want to go on to graduate school. I also do not really want to do anything specific to the field of psychology.

I am not asking for anyone to tell me what I should do with my life. I was just hoping that someone could maybe give me some ideas for a career that I could get with a degree in psychology. Any links to some pages that might help me would be great as well.

Thanks in advance and I apologize in advance if this is not appropriate for this forum.

XraySpeX
Old 01-29-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Help me out?

I would pick a new major
Old 01-29-2007, 02:38 AM

yeah I agree with ron, my friend has the same degree and has done nothing with it. First find something you want to do before wasting more time and money on school and then find out what you need to achieve that....also your degree should be a nice stepping stone to whatever you should want.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:44 AM

BTW you should have an idea of something specific you want to due in a field before you pick that as your major. There are so many interesting and high paying subjects you could have picked. Im not saying psychology isnt one of them. I know nothing about it, but I cant believe you are getting ready to graduate and you have no idea what you want to do.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:05 AM

Why did you choose psychology? It's the second most popular major and most psych graduates never do anything in psychology.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:26 AM

look for jobs that you can get at an industry that you're interested in. lots of government organizations will hire college grads regardless of your major as long as you seem like you can function in an office setting. a friend of mine got a coop job with Customs and Immigration during her undergrad in psych. she started working there fulltime after she graduated and makes around $50k/yr. the important thing imo is to just get out there and find a job that looks interesting to you. get some experience then find another if you don't think you can grow anymore in that organization. my current boss started out in urban planning after getting a geography degree, he now does project management for a datawarehouse project for the faculty of health sciences at the university i'm working for. you'll never find opportunities until you put yourself out there.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:37 AM

I think you can work with the IRS regardless of major.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 AM

Sales
Old 01-29-2007, 11:38 AM

It's awful hard out here trying to find a job without any real skills. I'm trying to find somewhere to work with a BS criminal justice degree. My plans were to become an attorney, but I no longer want to pursue that. The main problem I'm facing is employers that see my criminal justice degree and think that I should be a cop or probation officer. Hell even the typical criminal justice jobs are hard to find.

I might have to find a sales job, or flip big macs at the golden arches.

I'm really thinking about real estate, but I want to save up some money first.

Good Luck.

My advice for all college kids: Find a job 6 months before you graduate, and pick an area that you not only enjoy, but an area where YOU can find a job.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:40 PM

Thanks for all of the responses!

It is a little late to change my major.

I chose psychology simply because the classes were interesting to me. The problem with psychology is that in order to do anything in the field you have to go to graduate school. I do not want to go to more school... if I really wanted to go into a field in psychology i would go to more school but that does not seem interesting to me right now.

I went to school before I knew what I wanted to do like many college kids do. I went "to find out what I wanted to do with my life" and after going for the first 2 years to figure out what I wanted to do... I felt like since I went 2 years I mine as well finish.

I originally thought that having any degree is better than having no degree... now I am starting to think it was a waste of time.

I guess I will most likely just do what elus2 says. Just go out an get a job that seems interesting. Does anyone recommend any jobs that might fit well with someone that has a degree is psychology? Do you recommend just looking in classified ads or what? This is one thing that I believe college needs to focus more on. They give students tons of information but do not ever teach how to apply the information to real jobs.

Thanks again for the responses, I really appreciate it.

XraySpeX