Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: Gates jabs @ Sony saying Wii is \"tough competition\"

[ QUOTE ]
I think the real test for this generation, and particularly the Wii, will come in about 6 months. If the Wii is still doing well and you have mothers perusing video game stores for themselves then it could very well come out on top this generation. I think longevity will be the Wii's greatest challenge. It's one thing to have nongamers entertained by Wii sports for a couple of months - but will Nintendo be able to maintain their attention and effectively 'convert' these nongamers into gamers who are willing to proactively play/purchase new offerings 6 months down the road?

We should also be seeing the 'real' PS3 in about 6 months. They will have adjusted their price line by then and we will be able to see if they've managed to regain the developers currently abandoning the system. If they do regain the developers and get some decent exclusives out then the system could become a competitor.

Lastly comes the 360. Right now they are doing extremely well. They're constantly expanding their library of games, attracting/signing developers for exclusives and improving/expanding their XBox Live / Arcade offerings. The question for them is exactly the same as for the Wii. Can they keep it up?

I'd also put the order at 360, Wii, PS3. The Wii has the potential momentum to overtake the 360 but I'm not sure how long that momentum can last. The PS3 is in trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with all of this.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in addition to the percentage of hdtvs you have to factor in the people who actually buy the high end 1080p hdtvs, most people will have the lesser resolution 720p meaning that their ps3 wont look much more amazing than a well developed xbox game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you by xbox mean xbox 360 this is absurdly wrong.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given his mention of 720p resolution I think it's pretty obvious that's what he meant.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given his mention of 720p resolution I think it's pretty obvious that's what he meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought so too. But some xbox games actually support 720p so it's not completely clear cut. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
in addition to the percentage of hdtvs you have to factor in the people who actually buy the high end 1080p hdtvs, most people will have the lesser resolution 720p meaning that their ps3 wont look much more amazing than a well developed xbox game.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

xbox obv
Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm loving my Wii, but it's not hard to see that the 17% stat is deceptive. I don't think 100% of American homes have TV's, so the percentage of HD sets in all American homes is higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's around 98%
Old 01-28-2007, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I thought so too. But some xbox games actually support 720p so it's not completely clear cut. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No they don't. The best the Xbox does is 480p and the converter box can up-sample.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm loving my Wii, but it's not hard to see that the 17% stat is deceptive. I don't think 100% of American homes have TV's, so the percentage of HD sets in all American homes is higher. Also, I'd garner that of the households that would remotely consider buying a console, the fraction with HD sets will be disproportionately represented compared to that 17% stat. That said, I don't think that the lack of HD is a deal breaker or even an issue for most people yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely 99% of US homes have televisions. It's probably more like 99.9.