Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Setting up a Canadian proxy server

Perc,

Thanks again for further explanation.

Regarding your last sentence, I do see why a hardware firewall is better in the respect that if the VPN connectivity is lost and the poker client tries to re-establish connection, it has nowhere to go except through that VPN configured firewall.

I am running Norton System Works 2003 (I only update software when absolutely necessary although I keep a subscription up for definition updates), and in researching same, it cannot be configured for VPN. However the current version of Norton firewall can be. I would imagine that the risk of both the VPN connection and a properly configured firewall both dropping out, especially when used by a knowlegeable person, is so unlikely as to be *almost* negligible, as a parlay has to occur. Nonetheless that probability isn't zero, which it is with the hardware firewall.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:41 AM

I tend to think the chances of the hardware firewall failing to an open state is about the same as a software firewall failing in an open state. Either way, it is a very low risk of that happening when the VPN drops...unless either firewall failed to open and you hadn't noticed (which would actually be easier to notice for the software firewall via a missing systray icon).
Old 01-27-2007, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Percula,

Regarding that layering thing, I was wondering if there is a need to encapsulate the poker client so that it can't read all your hardware and OS profiles. party's especially is very aggressive in this regard, and with total access to your system, even if they see a different IP by virtue of the VPN, they could presumably determine that your machine was made in the USA, and that you had USA OS & software configurations couldn't they? Thus I am asking if there is both a need and a way to keep them from that level of access.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I worked for Stars, and pretty much every plan in this thread would fail. Just a reminder.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Percula,

Regarding that layering thing, I was wondering if there is a need to encapsulate the poker client so that it can't read all your hardware and OS profiles. party's especially is very aggressive in this regard, and with total access to your system, even if they see a different IP by virtue of the VPN, they could presumably determine that your machine was made in the USA, and that you had USA OS & software configurations couldn't they? Thus I am asking if there is both a need and a way to keep them from that level of access.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, I worked for Stars, and pretty much every plan in this thread would fail. Just a reminder.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying stars has the ability to see that you are using a VPN?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That pretty much requires some explanation, PM me if you don't want it in the public.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:04 PM

Let me start by saying that I am not a gambler, but I have been asked by a gambler friend of mine to assist him in 'relocating'.

One option that we are investigating is VPS hosting. Can someone provide some illumination as to why using a proxy is less desirable than VPN. I am assuming that the problem is that the poker client will use more than TCP connections on port 80 and 443 and the proxy will not field the UDP packets. What about using something like UDPrelay for the UDP traffic?

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with running VPN services through a VPS server? I suppose at this point we may do just as well looking for a VPN host instead.

I can share that we have tried a remote desktop solution. It works but the lag is difficult to work with. We have also investigated using international dial-up (with an unlimited long-distance plan). However, our provider will not open up the international numbers for 60 days.

Finally, I noticed the recent post by an insider who claims that none of this will work (or that it can be sniffed out). Is there any clarification on this? I'd hate to go through this and have it collapse on him.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

-Moe
Old 01-27-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone provide some illumination as to why using a proxy is less desirable than VPN. I am assuming that the problem is that the poker client will use more than TCP connections on port 80 and 443 and the proxy will not field the UDP packets. What about using something like UDPrelay for the UDP traffic?

[/ QUOTE ]

That should be pretty much self-explanitory....unless you've developed some Extra Sensory Perception algorithm to predict when poker clients will add or change the UDP port(s) they use and can make the appropriate corrections before the poker client updates are downloaded.

I'd elaborate further on your other points, but I'm burned out yappin 'bout this stuff...not so much here, but everywhere else. Sorry. I took a 2+2 break for about 12 hours and it apparently wasn't long enough lol. Damned sanity maintenance.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:31 PM

Well, thank you for your reply, please pardon my ignorance. I just don't know how the poker clients work (as I mentioned, I'm not a gambler, I'm just trying to help a friend).

Perhaps you could point me to a resource that provides some insight into what data they gather from the client pc and how they communicate.

I realize that this is proprietary information and probably to some degree unique from one provider to the next. Still, I'm sure that something is known. So far my searches haven't turned up much.

Moe
Old 01-28-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me start by saying that I am not a gambler, but I have been asked by a gambler friend of mine to assist him in 'relocating'.

One option that we are investigating is VPS hosting. Can someone provide some illumination as to why using a proxy is less desirable than VPN. I am assuming that the problem is that the poker client will use more than TCP connections on port 80 and 443 and the proxy will not field the UDP packets. What about using something like UDPrelay for the UDP traffic?

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with running VPN services through a VPS server? I suppose at this point we may do just as well looking for a VPN host instead.

I can share that we have tried a remote desktop solution. It works but the lag is difficult to work with. We have also investigated using international dial-up (with an unlimited long-distance plan). However, our provider will not open up the international numbers for 60 days.

Finally, I noticed the recent post by an insider who claims that none of this will work (or that it can be sniffed out). Is there any clarification on this? I'd hate to go through this and have it collapse on him.

Thanks again and good luck to everyone.

-Moe

[/ QUOTE ]

1) don't do a proxy.
2) the most popular (and therefore cost-effective) VPS runs SWSoft Virtuozzo. The easiest piece of software to use to get VPNs set up in less than 5-10 minutes is not supported by virtuozzo. So a virtuozzo VPS will not work for easy setup of VPN servers (there are other options in both VPS and VPN service)

I'm getting pretty sick of seeing all the crap going through this thread... I'm considering opening my toronto VPN server to the (paying) public for a monthly fee... i'll give it some more thought and figure it out in a few days.

the solution i'm using is just fine with a software firewall and native windows software, and I have been using it myself properly configured for over 6 months with no problems.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

1) don't do a proxy.
2) the most popular (and therefore cost-effective) VPS runs SWSoft Virtuozzo. The easiest piece of software to use to get VPNs set up in less than 5-10 minutes is not supported by virtuozzo. So a virtuozzo VPS will not work for easy setup of VPN servers (there are other options in both VPS and VPN service)

I'm getting pretty sick of seeing all the crap going through this thread... I'm considering opening my toronto VPN server to the (paying) public for a monthly fee... i'll give it some more thought and figure it out in a few days.

the solution i'm using is just fine with a software firewall and native windows software, and I have been using it myself properly configured for over 6 months with no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

What firewall software are you using Freakin?