Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Stealing A Poker/ Fight Question From Giant Buddha

That is good for them because watching the late rounds of a NLHE tournament isn't even good for your NLHE game. Short-stack push and pray isn't poker.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:59 PM

while i think the stud player has a significant edge because of the repetition of the stud format in HORSE play, i have to say that the hold'em player would take this tournament, and for one major reason: in HORSE, hold'em is played no-limit.

this gives him the greatest potential to reach into his opponents' stacks and take their chips away from them, because there is no constraint placed on the amount he can get into the pot at any one time except his opponents' skills.

but also, i think it would matter more which player was second best at what game, because the sundry players could conceivably avoid playing the best player at his best game, and he would need to either steal a lot of blinds to make up for this or have a fallback game.

also it's of note that every one of these players (except maybe the RAZZ player, actually) would be extremely proficient at counting outs, making reads, and recognizing strong hands relative to the game. this is a skill they'd all have developed from long experience and would easily be able to apply to the other games, though the nuances of those games would throw them off to be sure.
thus the hold'em player can play a passable game of stud or omaha, and vice versa. the artificial constraint of limiting the stakes makes the real difference here.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:55 PM

The Razz player. DS wrote his Razz book and advised readers that though a simple game Razz best illustrates advanced poker concepts and their applications. I don't really believe this but that's my answer.