Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 07:51 PM

Default Omaha Hi/Lo - higher ROI possible?

Pot Limit Omaha Hi/Lo Tournaments - More advantage to the skilled players? Higher possible ROI?

NL MTT’s were my bread and butter for along time. Recently more than 80% of my tournaments recently have been Omaha - mainly Hi/Lo. I have started wondering if Hi/Lo tourneys offer a greater opportunity for a skilled player.

Omaha Hi/Lo is a more difficult game to master. There are numerous excellent books on Hold Em tournament strategy and at this point most amateur players have read at least a few basic books. Most players can recognize good starting hands and know to play Hold Em tightly and aggressively.

However, in Omaha you get 4 cards and the pot often gets split between hi and low hands - this seems to lead to worse starting hand selection from your unskilled opponents. They are often hoping for ½ the pot and chasing ½ the pot with worse hands when you have a lock for the other half. Some of the opponents have no idea what a good hi/lo starting hand looks like. I am shocked at some of the hand selection in these games.

Blind defense - Omaha hands run much closer in value than in NL. In NL you can get your chips in as an 80/20 favorite. The best Omaha hands are maybe 60/40 versus trash. This often makes defending your blinds with any four necessary. Many players miss this important aspect of the game - players fold incorrectly much more often in Omaha preflop than in Hold Em.

I guess I am looking for a discussion of how soft/difficult of the tournament aspect of Omaha Hi/Lo. Whether a skilled player has a larger advantage in this game or Hold Em. And whether a higher ROI is possible in Omaha tourneys vs. Hold Em.

Anyone have any luck with Omaha MTT's?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Omaha Hi/Lo - higher ROI possible?

i won 10 g in 1st hi lo tourn i ever played (stars sun special) i agree u defend w any 4 against 1 opponent in bb.i dont know if i played well or not. i had minimal cash game experience i just played tight and made a few bluffs when i smelled weakness and made a few good calls in marginal spots
Old 01-27-2007, 02:58 AM

Default Re: Omaha Hi/Lo - higher ROI possible?

[ QUOTE ]
Omaha Hi/Lo is a more difficult game to master.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is true, especially in mtts.

While there are a lot of bad players playing omaha h/l mtts, the fields are a lot smaller than nl mtts. So I'm not sure if higher ROI's are possible. Maybe in similar sized mtts, better results are possible in omaha.

I hardly ever pl omaha h/l, so you might be right about those. However, in the limit events it's harder to chip up without hitting hands.

I mostly agree with your posts, but I think very good nl players would be better off playing no limit. However, at the lower levels the omaha mtts are very soft and low limit players should definitely check them out.

My results have been pretty good, and I enjoy playing them for a change of pace and the smaller fields are nice sometimes.