Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you masturbate with the door open?
Yes 123 63.08%
No 72 36.92%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Strategy when applying inflection points

I am a relatively new no-limit holdem’ player (Brick & mortar tourny’s just over a year) and have read Dan Harrington’s Volume I and presently in the middle of volume II. In volume II Dan discusses the theory of inflection points and zones during a tournament. My question is this: Is the better strategy to play conservative poker early (while your inflection points are still high); then change to a more aggressive style when you reach the middle and late stages of the tournament (when your inflection points are less because of blinds and antes) or is more success possible by playing aggressive right from the start of the tournament until the end?

My question is with the understanding that I am paying attention to my position, other players’ styles and stacks, pot odds/implied odds and my own playing style.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Strategy when applying inflection points

I pick C. "paying attention to my position, other players’ styles and stacks, pot odds/implied odds and my own playing style."

To be more helpful...
You should never go into a tournament predecided on how to play, just one good decision at a time and tend to play opposite to the table style. If they are playing conservative, be more aggressive, if they are playing aggressive, play more conservative. I think that's what you're looking for...but you already knew that.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Strategy when applying inflection points

yeah. C. I think somewhere else in HoH he mentions that its general poker wisdom to play the opposite of the others at your table. So if you sit down at a tourny and everyone is goin nuts early my preference would be to stay out of it until some of the berserkers knock each other out. Conversly, if I sat and noticed everyone seemed nervous and tight-- i'd try to take advantage of that by gearing up and aggressively stealing some pots.

But, trying to answer your question I've noticed that (generally) online people are looser early, and at B&M's people are tighter early. So online I'd be more predisposed to play passive early and in real life i'd be more likely to start aggressively.