Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 08:22 PM

Default AK against two callers

CO is typical loose passive, SB is an unknown at this point but I have a small sample showing me 30/20/ w/ an AF of 3 if it matters.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com

SB ($46.50)
BB ($10.40)
UTG ($83.30)
Hero ($54.25)
CO ($44.75)
Button ($84.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($6.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, CO calls $5, SB calls $5.

Turn: ($21.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $17</font>, CO calls $17, SB calls $17.

River: ($72.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero...

Should I be slowing down anywhere in this hand? I don't mind CO calling, but SB following along is starting to get a bit scary...
Old 01-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: AK against two callers

Looks perfect through the flop to me.

I'm curious as to what people say about the turn.

On the end with everyone having effectively only $20 behind and a $70 pot I think you're pretty tied to it. Its shove time, 'cuz I don't think you can fold for $20 in a $90 or $110 pot, so just put the money in yourself. Its nice the FD missed.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 PM

I'm not worried about the SB at all. Noticed how he checked preflop then continued to call raises without any re-raises of his own. He's chasing a flush. It's possible CO is also chasing a flush, but I'm putting him on a weaker ace instead. That's why I think it's good to check this river. If SB pushes, you've induced a bluff so you should call. If CO bets, I'd be careful. Check the odds your getting then go from there. It's quite possible that he was calling you down with AT.

Your line is perfect. Keep it up.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:33 PM

Doesn't he have $30 left here? Not that it would change too much.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't he have $30 left here? Not that it would change too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but the other guys only have about $20 each.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If CO bets, I'd be careful. Check the odds your getting then go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's getting 5:1, so it only has to be a bluff or a weaker ace 20% of the time. I think its a must call on the end.

Which is why I recommended a shove, but maybe I'm missing value.

You like the turn bet?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 PM

Kurt, you raise an interesting point. Should he push knowing he's pot committed...

I think the answer to this is no. If you push on the river, you're only going to get called by a made hand. For example, in this case you're only getting called by someone with a pair of aces or better. The missed flush draw will always fold. On the other hand, if you check, the person who misses his draw might push on a bluff (even though the chances of this are rare). The person with a weaker ace might also push.

So I think it's slightly more +EV to just check and call. What do you think? I would like to here some opinions on this.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:52 PM

I think you're 100% right. Wow, I love finding leaks in my game! I just had the knee jerk response, "if I'm gunna call it I might as well be the aggressor," but that lost me value here. Thanks Hank!

Your thoughts on the turn?
Old 01-26-2007, 08:57 PM

I think the turn is good. TPTK is a pretty solid hand and I'm willing to make it a big pot if I can get a good read on my opponents. I put the SB on the flush draw, which is pretty obvious I think. I put the other guy on an ace with a weak kicker.

I don't think either is slowplaying because they'd have to realize one of us is chasing a flush, so someone with a set or two pair or better is pushing on the turn.

So I think the turn needs to be bet in the $17 range, just like jumbo did here.