Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 05:44 PM

Default StudHi 3rd Street Quiz w/ Small and Med Pairs

Ok, I deleted action after Hero acts to not persuade people to go either way. Each one of these are tricky for me now at this stage in my game. Answers and comments would be excellent.

If this works well and is well received, then I will another one at a future date with Non pair hands that are sooted or two suited, etc etc.

For people who are trying to learn the game like myself, I think this is going to be a great help.

HAND 1
3rd Street - (1.20 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in

HAND 2

Card Stud High ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.10, Bring-In $0.15 (converter)

3rd Street

seat 0: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]__FOLDS__
Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
seat 5: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
seat 6: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
seat 7: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings in

HAND 3

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 3: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 4: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

HAND 4

b]3rd Street[/b] - (1.40 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 8: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Old 01-26-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: StudHi 3rd Street Quiz w/ Small and Med Pairs

.1. fold you have a dead pair card and your kicker sucks and no two flush or anything.
2. raise all your cards are live and you have a big kicker and a two flush and a raise has a shot to win the antes or a shot to get reraised by another pair so you can get it heads up. if the game is loose and limpy then limping is okay to see what happens on fourth.
3. you have a dead pair card but you have a big pair and a semi-dead two flush so raise to try to keep the pot shorthanded.
4. you can call or raise as your kicker is a straight flush card. one of the Js is dead which is not good but almost all of your diamonds are live which is good.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:12 PM

1) Fold due to low kicker, dead 9
2) Fold due to 3 higher door cards behind (very marginal because kicker is good and 7,K are live)
3) Complete despite dead Q
4) Call if seat 2, seat 5 are aggressive, fold if one or both are passive - ie. would they complete with a big split pair, or no?
Old 01-26-2007, 06:15 PM

hand one is a fold. with one of nines dead and a three kicker this is unplayable.

hand two is a raise. your kicker is strong and you want to limit the number of players coming into this pot.

hand three is a raise. Your queen is dead, but your kicker is strong, your pair is high, and you have a two flush. you want to win this pot as soon as possible.

hand four is a raise. you can probably eliminate the bring in, represent queens, and get some value. Also, you set up for a free card on fifth since you will likely be betting last every round. If no one visibly improves on fourth, bett or raise.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Hand 1: Raising for value, and to hopefully lose the BI. Don't mind calling and trying to eliminate opponents on 4th though.

Hand 2: I'll raise. Only two hearts dead, kicker that is above everything except Seat 5's door.

Hand 3: Raising. Q is dead, let's keep this pot shorthanded.

Hand 4: I'm just calling behind here. I like our hand, but not as much with two overcard limpers in front, as well as 3 straight outs dead, including that vital J. We definetely want to see how Seat 5 plays 4th.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2) Fold due to 3 higher door cards behind (very marginal because kicker is good and 7,K are live)
4) Call if seat 2, seat 5 are aggressive, fold if one or both are passive - ie. would they complete with a big split pair, or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

SplawnDarts - suprised to see you would fold hand two.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: Raising for value, and to hopefully lose the BI. Don't mind calling and trying to eliminate opponents on 4th though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree here. With a dead nine and a three kicker, this hand has no value IMO. It may not even be playable with the nine live, depending on teh game.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:30 PM

Since poker is very situational & you didn't give much info or reads to work with, these are my plays as the cards lay & considering you are fairly new to stud.

1: Fold. One of the 9's is dead already & if you raise I doubt that these limpers will fold.

2: Call. I'd try to see 4th cheaply. You do have live cards with a potential heart flush draw if the stars are all aligned. But there are 3 overs still to act behind you but at these stakes players love to call, so call. If they raise (or anyone else), strongly consider folding. At this point in your game, I wouldn't advise coming in with a raise...it's doable & aggressive but risky.

3: This is a pump it or dump it situation for me. Try to thin the herd or fold. Do not just limp. One of the Q's, 1 Jack (for possible str8), & 3 diamonds for a possible flush are gone. It would be great to get it HU with a smaller pair.

4: Tough one. I'd limp in this spot & try to catch. Everybody else wants to limp, then limp. Problem is that 3 of your str8 outs are gone. I'd love a raise but I don't believe they'd fold. If I thought that a raise would help me on a later street, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Lottsa players in the lower stakes love to limp with big hands then re-pop when somebody raises or wait till a bigger street to raise. With the limp you keep your investment in the pot small if you don't catch & it's well hidden when you do catch.

Hope this helps some. You'll most likely get a wide variety of answers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I strongly disagree here. With a dead nine and a three kicker, this hand has no value IMO. It may not even be playable with the nine live, depending on teh game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the action so far, we very likely have the best hand, therefore raising has value. Yes, a 9 is dead...but it's not like we're the only one hurt by that; it hurts both of villains hands too, depending on their hand range.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SplawnDarts - suprised to see you would fold hand two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised others would raise. A bigger split pair is going to wake up behind you fairly frequently here.

FWIW, I KNOW my line is consistent with SSStud, which will only raise into ONE door overcard. I might get frisky and do two. Three is right out even though the hand is very live.

Edit: my original post had an error. For hand 4, I meant raise if opponents are aggressive, fold if they are passive.