Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2007, 01:17 PM

Default Re: playing the basics

I fold or raise preflop and I'd never call with this hand...

I usually raise this flop, but I raise A LOT of flops with a lot of different hands and I get called by a 9 most of the time in blind battles.

As played I fold the river, I also bet the turn...

This is actually a decent ROI situation, you prevent this by raising the flop or the turn...
Old 01-26-2007, 01:19 PM

Hand is fine, river is read-dependent.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:19 PM

I don't think betting the turn is too bad atall tbh. There is a club draw and some straight draws out there. Also you possiby get a call from 88-, this is a bind battle after all, people don't fold!!

I don't like preflop unless your going to float him a lot. I' usually 3bet or fold, most of the time 3betting.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:20 PM

I do not like calling a raise holding A9o with position and HU. If you flop an A. You are either going to take it down on the flop or lose a large pot. The best thing you could hope for is he also has an A and you take him off the hand when he misses.

I call a raise with speculative hands when there are a couple of people in the pot and I have position on the raiser (Includes me in the BB and the raiser UTG). I do not consider A9o a speculative hand, closer to a junk hand. speculative suited connectors and suited one gappers...I am not playing them to one pair.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not see any value in betting the turn at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree a bet on the turn would not be value. More of a to see where you stand bet. Actually I think a bet in the turn would only serve to build a pot. If he folds...great if he calls and bets the river easier fold, yet if he calls and checks river you have a show down.

I like the check the turn call river line the fact that you called and then checked the turn makes you look rather weak and I could easily see this bet as a bluff
Old 01-26-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is actually a decent ROI situation, you prevent this by raising the flop or the turn...

[/ QUOTE ]

i take it you mean RIO.

but if you raise flop or turn, you put the same amount in the pot as you do by calling river as played, so the rio are no worse. You gain where a worse hand bluffs, but lose where you get outdrawn.

I don't see how RIO apply here, we're not going to raise, and we can fold to a big river bet rather than 1/2 pot.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"You are also protecting against a bluff. By betting the turn, you are less likley to get bluffed on the river when a card bigger than a jack hits."

If you think you are likely to get bluffed, then call the bluff. Ship the monies.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a perfectly valid option, but betting the turn still another good option. One advantage of betting the turn is that you have slightly more control over the pot when you are behind. If he leads into you on a high river card for a full PSB, you have a difficult call if you checked the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

"You are also more likely to get called on the turn then on the river by something like a small pair as many over cards can hit."

I'd say you are more likely to get called on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah because it's so much easier to call when there is yet another overcard on the board....
Old 01-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Preflop: I really think you ought to re-raise or fold. Leaning toward fold with no read, as you "just sat down."

Flop: OK

Turn: BET

River: As played, I fold.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 PM

i am folding this river pretty much all the time, i am suprised so many people are saying to call.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But consider this. If villain puts you on a float, he'll c/raise you. And you are folding. So you are adding to the range of hands that you will call flop and bet/fold turn. So you are making your floating strategy more exploitable rather than less.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno. If I don't add mediocre hands to the range I call flop-bet turn with, that range would basically be monsters (Jx/99) or air. I'd usually raise the flop with my monsters, so my range for call flop-bet turn is mostly air. If I add in a bet with hands w/ showdown value such as these, my opponents don't have easy calls with 22-88 (and TT) anymore.