Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Setting up a Canadian proxy server

[ QUOTE ]
Assume I'm smart enough not to run unknown exe's,

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot something...

An excellent attack vector if you are targeted is to hijack your DNS server (your's as in the one that use to resolve names to IP addresses).

So a nice attack would consist of someone hacking your DNS server so that when you type in twoplustwo.com it takes you to a copy of twoplustwo.com that is a mine field of exploit links and exploited images. Wham, you are taken over, and after you click on the first link, pull the first bad JPG, you are redirected back to the real twoplustwo.com site, and figure there was a "hicup" on the site for some unknown reason. Or they could have a lot less fun with it, and just load the exploit page and redirect you to the real site, leaving you wondering why the URL is some IP instead of what you are used to seeing...
Old 01-25-2007, 03:18 AM

Also, it should be pointed out that connecting your computer to a VPN if you are behind a router is actually REMOVING one layer of security you had in NAT because you are essentially connected directly to the internet. On a number of occasions I connected to a VPN only to get windows messenger spam before disabling the service.

So be careful.

The best advice I have heard is the VM inside a linux box with reverting every time.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, it should be pointed out that connecting your computer to a VPN if you are behind a router is actually REMOVING one layer of security you had in NAT because you are essentially connected directly to the internet. On a number of occasions I connected to a VPN only to get windows messenger spam before disabling the service.

So be careful.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sorry, but this is not exactly correct.

NAT is not a security device/measure, it is simply the method used to allow your private network to route across the Internet. Since RFC1918 addresses are not routing across the Internet, you had NAT on your VPN connection if you were access the Internet rather you knew it or not.

With a properly configured VPN connection for this propose will not result in any of the things you mention, and will result in a very secure connection.

It is important to note, that this is an excellent example, if the VPN and firewalling is not correctly configured, you expose yourself to more danger than if you did not have the VPN.

Example; You connect your host PC with a VPN client to a VPN server in the UK. You are assigned a RFC1918 (private) IP address, that becomes part of the broadcast domain of 200 other people on the same network. Now you are no better than connecting your PC directly to the Internet without a firewall.

However if the VPN is properly configured, there is not way for the hosts connected to the VPN to intercommunicate.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:56 AM

I have another question that I don't think has been covered here. And that is assuming you get a dedicated VPN server, what software do you use both on the PC end and the server end to setup the VPN? I assume there are various such apps, so which are best? Does the VPN hosting service provide same?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
VPN will cover the data side, but you still need ID, address, phone#, funding vehicle which may or may not be a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I only skimmed through this topic, but I didn't see anyone address these issues, which at least for me are the hardest ones to figure out. How do I open and fund poker accounts as a "Virtual Canadian"? A phone number would be easy, vonage skype ect., bank account is possible, but Canadian ID, how do I do that?
Old 01-26-2007, 11:26 AM

Kindred,

That really isn't part of the technical topic of this thread. But if you had the other stuff you wouldn't need a canadian ID because they would let an american living and working in canada play, as long as he only did so from a (apparently) canadian location. So that means a utility bill, which the phone bill is, assuming it doesn't show a different billing address from the service address (and if that is the case think canadian UPS store mailbox with street address and "apartment #").
Old 01-26-2007, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this is really not as hard as ya'll are making it.

every decent firewall should have some sort of rule-based system.

1st rule) Allow traffic to the VPN server on all ports and protocols
2nd Rule) block all traffic on the local area connection that accesses the internet

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently using the McAfee firewall. I can't see any way to set up this sort of rule using it. Can anyone recommend me a better firewall program? Or am I just missing something in McAfee?
Old 01-26-2007, 12:55 PM

BiPolar_Nut -

I am more curious then anything about point 4 in the orginal reply but how does the pc poker client automatically ?

Is he just running the client locally and then having the outgoing traffic route through the canadian computer?

why not have him use some sort of remote desktop computer so that even if he disconnected he might simply just go into his time bank or time out? (i.e. the canadian computer stays connected)
Old 01-26-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have another question that I don't think has been covered here. And that is assuming you get a dedicated VPN server, what software do you use both on the PC end and the server end to setup the VPN? I assume there are various such apps, so which are best? Does the VPN hosting service provide same?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look at the last post I made, you will see the issue with using a service. Make sure you are isolated from other clients on the VPN network.

There is all kinds of software and depending on the VPN concentrator you may end up with a Cisco, CheckPoint, Sonicwall client or be able to use opensource or the built in XP client.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:59 PM

The remote desktop would work for perfectly for stuff like sportsbetting, neteller transactions, ect, since you could just use the IE that is on your remote desktop. As for actually downloading and installing a poker client on a remote desktop, it seems as though you could do it, however there are several drawbacks. It would be slow and your network operators might not like it.