Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: Need help convincing a loved one that poker is OK

[ QUOTE ]
show her thousands of data points on an upward trending graph.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't work either. I tried this with my Mom a few years ago. I figured the graph would tell the story better than I could ever explain, and the response I got was "I'm glad you've won all that now hopefully you'll put it into your savings or a conservative mutual fund before you lose it all."

You're not going to change anyone's mind. If their attitudes do change, it will be on their own time and not because of anything you've said. Just stop talking about it and let it be.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:35 PM

But how much did you lose?

I believe that saying originated in thread about why you never, ever, tell anyone you play poker. Maybe someone will provide a link.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:59 PM

she's not smart enough to understand given your standard deviation / winrate your risk of ruin is like 0.01%?

I would try to explain the concept of EV first using sklansky's coin flip example but girls will be girls lolol
Old 01-24-2007, 01:30 AM

Tell the bitch to be cool.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:18 AM

My wife and sister both were skeptics (as woman in general are from the many bad beats the have taken from +EV men). It wasn't until I spent the time to share this game with them and to explain how skill and luck both play a part in Hold'em but that skill wins out over time. Then they both have come to support rather than deter which is important for you. It is tough to play your best poker when everyone around you doesn't believe it is you (as much as luck) that is determining the outcome. It also helps to (as I did with my wife) make her a partner in your endeavor. She gets a cut of the profit for being with the kids while I play. It is amazing how a grand in her purse can adjust her attitude. She will be much more interested in your poker when it hits her in the wallet so to speak. It will take time and you have to take them along slowly. Remember when you first started and were flopping around on the deck without a clue. It will come and soon they will support you in what they now understand. Thanks to you!

Good luck (Luck is where preparation meets opportunity.) and good poker.
Old 01-25-2007, 01:13 PM

i have the same problem and i've won hundreds of thousands. just lie
Old 01-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Every time she complains about poker, take out a $100 bill and burn it in front of her. Whether she likes poker or not, she'll learn to stop complaining.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:11 PM

That's wonderful sixt4, I know my close ones are against me playing, but once I would start paying the bills I don't see much of a problem. "You don't wanta get in with the mob gambling" lol , I swear they are funny sometimes.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:49 PM

Make them a deal.

They don't complain about your playing when all the assorted other crap in your life is going well (grades, job, whatever) and you won't rub their noses in the fact that your hobby makes you more money than their jobs.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:09 PM

"Hey sis, I know, there is some luck in poker. But don't worry, I just play for fun outside of school. Sometimes I win X amount (divide real amount by 10) and lose Y amount(same thing here). By the way, school is cool, I'll be graduating in 3 years. How're you and your boyfriend?"

That's probably the best approach. Don't try to convince her. Just laugh off her skepticism for now, it's a losing battle.

=)