Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Question regarding Canadian playing online from US

My Canadian cousin is going to be in town for a month for work, and he will be staying at our house here in the USA. He has just started playing poker, and mainly plays at Party Poker.

Obviously, my real money Party account has been closed, so I don't play there any more. But will there be a problem with him playing on his party poker account from my home? Do poker sites care and/or track where people are logging in from?

Since he has a small bankroll, He also does some bonus whoring. Would there be a problem with him signing up for a new poker site, which is banned in the USA, from my home computer?

I still play, but only at Full Tilt, Stars, and Doyles. As long as he doesn't log in to one those sites from my computer, we should be ok, right?

Any info would be appreciated. He's here starting next week. I don't want to jepordize either of our bankrolls due to us not knowing what is acceptable.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2007, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Question regarding Canadian playing online from US

Shouldn't be a problem for him to play on Party while he's there but I'd suggest that he send a quick email to support explaining that he is going to vacation in the USA and see what they have to say about it.

As for creating an account from a US based IP I would advise against doing that for obvious reasons as im sure they will require at least a scan of your ID and proof of residence in Canada.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Shouldn't be a problem for him to play on Party while he's there but I'd suggest that he send a quick email to support explaining that he is going to vacation in the USA and see what they have to say about it.

As for creating an account from a US based IP I would advise against doing that for obvious reasons as im sure they will require at least a scan of your ID and proof of residence in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, this is 100% incorrect.

He will NOT be able to sit at real money tables while in the US.

If it were that simple, then everyone would simply open party accounts with Canadian addresses and play their content.

They track IPs. And ban traffic from US ones.

And yes, it would be really dumb for him to try and open an account at a site that bans americans from your computer.
a) he prob won't be able to, and
b) if the site sees him trying to sign up from an american IP, and then later (if it doesn't work) from his home canadian IP, they might think something's fishy and ban him altogether.
tell him to do it once he gets back home to canadia.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:39 AM

Anyone else have info on any of this? There has to be some of you people out there who have done it themselves, or know someone who has played there legal Party account in the US.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:54 AM

Yeah I play hockey in NH but live in Quebec... I can play on Party but I dont think your cousin will be able to sign up for new poker rooms.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:35 AM

I am a Canadian living in the states. I am subject to all US laws, my isp gives me away. I can play at sites but I cannot go to the cashiers page. I can play at Laddies, they never let US players play there. I have my sister in Toronto withdraw for me. It was hooked up to neteller, so I can no longer withdraw from there as neteller will ID me as a US resident. Neteller locked my account the first time I tried to withdraw from the US. I called them and let them know I was in Vegas for a few months and they released the lock out. Now that I have been in the US during all of the crap, I am not sure how easy it will be for me to switch back once I go back to Canada. Hope that helps.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:50 AM

i am 100% correct, thegardener.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:28 PM

Thanks for the info everyone.

But Teddy, if you are 100% correct, then how come Joroy70 says he can play on his Party account from the US?

I suppose I can tell him to setup XP Remote desktop on his home PC, and he can just log-in from my place if he needs his poker fix. Not sure if it would be playable though. I wonder how much lag there would be doing this.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i am 100% correct, thegardener.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe about Party, but not all US-banned sites. I actually thought I had played at Party since the ban on my laptop while in the US, but I can't seem to find proof of that right now. However, I can confirm that I did play at Interpoker and Paradise from Nov 30-Dec 2 while travelling in the US...on my laptop at hotels in CA. So, I think the answer this might depend on the site, where you're playing, etc.

EDIT: Just checked my records, and I have NOT played Party in the US since the ban. Last did it in the summer. I can't confirm if I could have...I never tried. Just IP and Paradise, FWIW.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:43 PM

u r correct. some sites check IPs. Others don't.

Party does.