Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 01:37 PM

Default B&M Tourney Seating Question

Up to now I've played a bunch on line, and some B&M ring games. I have very poor eye sight, and from the end of the table I have trouble seeing the flop, let alone seeing the expression of the guy at the other end of the table. So I've waited for a seat either across from the dealer, or in a pinch, beside the dealer.

Now I've registered for my first live Tourney, and I'm wondering - can I request a particular seat based on my vision problem?
Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 PM

Default Re: B&M Tourney Seating Question

Talk to the tournament director (TD). Seats in a tournament are usually established by some sort of draw -- for example, when I played in one at the Bike in LA, they collected seating cards every time they broke a table and shuffled the new cards they gave you.

But it shouldn't change the game to move everyone around so you can have the 5 seat. More likely, they'll just have the dealer read out the board to you, which obviously doesn't help for tells but may be the best you can do.

But ask the TD before you enter the tournament.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:40 PM

Thanks so much - I'm glad to know it never hurts to ask, and I'll remember to talk to the TD.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:53 PM

Not to offend you but in honesty if i was in the 5 seat, which is the best seat in my opinion, and they forced me to move i would actually be pretty pissed. I understand taht you have trouble seeing but like they said you can ask and if they give it to you just be prepared for some people getting pissed off.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not to offend you but in honesty if i was in the 5 seat, which is the best seat in my opinion, and they forced me to move i would actually be pretty pissed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the choice of having bad eyesight and having to ask for a seat and having good eyesight and being asked to move, I'd be happy to be the one with the good eyesight.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:52 PM

I've only played in a few B&M tournamants . We've always had to pick a card of some type off the table for our seat / table position. I would think it pretty easy for the TD, if informed beforehand, to just hold back a specific card for you. This assumes they honor your request of course.

Since you say you have already signed up I would contact them asap, inform them of your problem and see what they can do. Don't wait until the last minute.

Just thought of another problem if this is a large MTT. You may be required to move several times and I doubt they can assure you of a middle seat on future moves.

Good Luck
Old 01-25-2007, 06:55 PM

I understand where you're coming from and I don't want to piss anyone off. I also don't want to hold up play because I'm having to stand up and rubberneck to see. Maybe a good compromise would be if the dealer announced the cards as s/he dealt them. In the B&M rings games I've been in, however, the dealer didn't speak, dealt really fast, and indicated we needed to act quickly. In that situation I felt pressured to act quickly so I just waited until I could get a good seat.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since you say you have already signed up I would contact them asap, inform them of your problem and see what they can do. Don't wait until the last minute.

Just thought of another problem if this is a large MTT. You may be required to move several times and I doubt they can assure you of a middle seat on future moves.

Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - I certainly need the luck. I know I'll likely get my ass kicked, but I'm looking on this as a learning experience. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's a 300 player MTT, so I'll move a bunch if I last. And I live 14 hours away, so there is no way to stop by and let them know. I'll call the registration line and have them make a note on my info, though.