Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2007, 03:02 AM

Default $500 NL, is this all in semibluff ok?

Stacks: Hero $500
Villain $600
Donk $300

Hero is cutoff with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

UTG raised to $20, 3 call, hero calls, rest fold.

Flop is K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Villain bets $60, two fold, donk calls, hero is all in.

Villain is a solid tag and I think he would fold AK here, unless he put me on a big draw I guess.

What do you guys think? Are stack sizes ok for this play? Thanks.
Old 01-25-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Re: $500 NL, is this all in semibluff ok?

Yes, this is fine.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:17 AM

While a push may be +EV, I doubt that it is more +EV than calling.

Just because you flop a straight-flush draw does not mean that you should play it fast. You're getting great odds just to call and there is a possibility that a donk is chasing a lower flush draw or will 2-pair when you hit your gutter. Call.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:03 AM

I'm sure raising like this is +EV but when someone does this to me 90% of the time its a huge draw. Do you play AA, KK,JJ,JK like this? If your going to play your draws like this you need to play your sets like it too.

Anyways I like a pot sized raise more, gives you more fold equity.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:26 AM

The goal of poker is not to win every pot, but to force your opponents to make mistakes (in the FTOP sense) while avoiding making mistakes yourself. The bigger the mistake (ie more chips involved) obviously the more important it is.

By going all-in, your opponents will never make a big mistake, as they will call with all two-pair or better hands. They will at best be making a small mistake of folding a 55-45 situation in their favour. Meanwhile you could find yourself making a sizeable mistake if you are up against KK/JJ and a 2-1 dog.

Meanwhile, if you call, you will likely be able to play perfectly on future streets, while your opponents could wind up making massive mistakes on certain turn or river cards.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The goal of poker is not to win every pot, but to force your opponents to make mistakes (in the FTOP sense) while avoiding making mistakes yourself. The bigger the mistake (ie more chips involved) obviously the more important it is.

By going all-in, your opponents will never make a big mistake, as they will call with all two-pair or better hands. They will at best be making a small mistake of folding a 55-45 situation in their favour. Meanwhile you could find yourself making a sizeable mistake if you are up against KK/JJ and a 2-1 dog.

Meanwhile, if you call, you will likely be able to play perfectly on future streets, while your opponents could wind up making massive mistakes on certain turn or river cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Folding in that already pretty big pot as a favourite is a huge mistake.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure raising like this is +EV but when someone does this to me 90% of the time its a huge draw. Do you play AA, KK,JJ,JK like this? If your going to play your draws like this you need to play your sets like it too.

Anyways I like a pot sized raise more, gives you more fold equity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you looked at the stack sizes? A push is a pot sized raise and also a pretty standard way to play a set on that board.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding in that already pretty big pot as a favourite is a huge mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends how you define huge, I suppose. I guess I didn't realize there was so much in the pot, so it is a $150 mistake. Still though, villain raises UTG and continues into 4-opponents. This could easily be KK/JJ and you've made the $150 mistake.

I suppose I didn't realize that the donk is shortstacked, which minimizes the potential of him making a really HUGE mistake on later streets.

In that case, i'm less adamant that a call is correct.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM

so standard
Old 01-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Your hand is played looking like a draw, but I like it. You overraised a little, but there's a lot of $ in the pot. There's a lot of fold equity unless UTG is a very good hand reader or flopped set. I expect donk to fold so you're really only playing for the $ in pot with tag, who even if he calls, your T or club r automatically live, as well as maybe an ace. You're almost flipping with FE and lots of $ in the pot, so great play. You don't have enogh money for a simple raise IMO and taking a turn and getting possibly bet off your good draw.