Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Rebuy Discussion

I'm opening up a discussion to debate whether or not a person should rebuy. In this discussion I am specifically referring to a rebuy game like the one on Poker Stars, the $10+$1+R $45,000 gauranteed they have on weekdays. This tournament is generally extremely loose during the rebuy period (Loose to the extreme point of stupidity). The consequence of this is that at the end of the rebuy period the average stack is significantly higher than two rebuys and an add on, and the biggest stacks may have ten times as much or more than two rebuys and an add on.

I know all of the theory, and I understand the first few thousand chips are worth more. In this situation, if you were to bust in say the last ten minutes of the rebuy period, you would be purchasing what seems to me like a very slim chance of success. So should you still rebuy up 2000 chips and then add on to 3500 chips, when the largest stack is probably around 40,000 and the average stack is around 6,000-7,000?
Old 02-12-2006, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Rebuy Discussion

Buy, rebuy right away. be willing to rebuy a couple or three more times. If you bust in the last ten minutes you still have a chance to get back up to b/t 8 and 12k. You've got enough M even if you only have 5k to last the first hour and you might double up then. Also, if you're still willing to rebuy, there's little risk of busting in the last ten minutes, because unless you're caleld by a smaller stack, you can always get back to give (double rebuy + add on). Always take the add-on. You don't need to be the chip leader. the chip leaders during the rebuy do not win, as a general rule. Look at the lobby at the first break and write down the screen names of the top 20 people- only a third will even make the money and only 1-4 will make it big.