Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 AM

Default $6.50 HORSE (HE Phase)

I thought I'd drop this down to see what you guys think of it.

PokerStars Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind t20 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t1480)
MP2 (t1580)
CO (t1380)
Button (t1520)
Hero (t1540)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8 SB, t160) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB, t220) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, CO checks.

River: (5.50 BB, t220) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 7.5 BB (t300)
Old 01-24-2007, 03:14 AM

Default Re: $6.50 HORSE (HE Phase)

I'm not much of a limit player but I think I play this the exact same way as you did.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:17 AM

First of all, kudos for being a real poker player. I'd take anyone (I get to pick) who beats the $6.5 HORSE tournaments against any STTF player (Daliman) in any game (Trivial Pursuit).

You should be betting the turn. There are two reasons for this. First, you could make a player who just turned a pair of jacks fold. Second, you continue to represent an ace to a player with a hand that potentially has odds to draw out on you: KQ, KT, QT. Betting the turn prevents the sticky situation on the river where you're facing a single bet in a decent-sized pot from a player with an ill-defined hand. Bet the turn and check-call a non-threatening river. Bet the turn and bet-fold a scary river.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, kudos for being a real poker player. I'd take anyone (I get to pick) who beats the $6.5 HORSE tournaments against any STTF player (Daliman) in any game (Trivial Pursuit).

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to decide if that's a sarcastic insult for playing at low $6.50 stakes or a compliment that I'm tackling HORSE.

We're done if the turn gets raised yes?
Old 01-24-2007, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to decide if that's a sarcastic insult for playing at low $6.50 stakes or a compliment that I'm tackling HORSE.

We're done if the turn gets raised yes?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a compliment to you and a good-natured barb at Daliman's self-proclaimed mastery of Trivial Pursuit. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] My wife plays a lot of the $6.5's on Stars so I've watched a fair number of them.

Fold to a turn or river raise for sure.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:15 PM

Def bet the turn, what's the point in betting the flop if you won't follow up the turn? Look slike BB rivered flush.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:44 PM

No point in betting the turn, especially into two players, when you're gonna get called down or raised by a better hand. I also think the flop bet is marginal.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:04 PM

People make some really awful folds at this level as well as often making bad calls. I feel that when you bet the flop, you have to bet the turn. Checking there is giving up completely, and TT is still too good a hand to give up on. A lot of hands that call down are stuff like K8 or 66, where they "just don't believe you" and have to call down.

I'm not a limit expert, but I would guess betting that flop is 100% mandatory.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People make some really awful folds at this level as well as often making bad calls. I feel that when you bet the flop, you have to bet the turn. Checking there is giving up completely, and TT is still too good a hand to give up on. A lot of hands that call down are stuff like K8 or 66, where they "just don't believe you" and have to call down.

I'm not a limit expert, but I would guess betting that flop is 100% mandatory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you have to bet this flop. I'd probably bet the turn too, but that's marginal. In any limit tournament, if I get into pot, I'm jamming until they fold or someone shows me something. The pots are just too big compared to your stack to slow down post-flop.