Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 05:28 PM

Default Play65 Backgammon blocking accounts

Tried logging into my Play65 backgammon account today and received a pop-up saying real money mode has been blocked for residents of my state (Illinois).

Does anyone have any info as to whether backgammon was even mentioned in the gambling bill?

This doesn't seem like good news especially since I deposited with neteller.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Play65 Backgammon blocking accounts

If your are playing for money it is gambling. Doesn't have to be poker.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:54 PM

I thought I had read somewhere that backgammon had been deemed a game of skill and not of chance, but I don't remember where I got that info so I can't link to it.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:26 PM

I don't have a link either, but this was my reply to someone in a Legislation Forum thread right after the UIGEA was passed:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is backgammon legal gambling?

[/ QUOTE ]
An interesting question.

This is something I've been wondering since the bill got through last Friday. Is our legal system prepared to get involved with the skill vs. chance debate for every possible gaming site known?

Of course backgammon is a game of skill. Golf is a game of skill. Bridge is a game of skill. Billiards is a game of skill. Gin rummy is a game of skill. And yes, POKER is a game of skill.

The only difference between each the above-mentioned games is the length of time it takes for proof of each game's skill to emerge. Where does that get determined in a court of law?

Good luck USA.

[/ QUOTE ]
To which someone else replied:

[ QUOTE ]
Backgammon has already been tested in the courts and has been found to be a game of skill - see Barr V Oregon - I'm sure that if tested poker would also be found to be a skill game - amd is amazing with the popularity of poker nowadays that any politician would think this is good idea- I predict a firestorm when the masses are closed out from being able to play on party next weekend.

Is amazing in a country whose presidents have long loved the game- see Truman on the White House Yacht and if not for poker Nixon would never have been President(hmmm...ok, some may not think that a bad thing) but he almost entirely self financed his first congressional election with winnings he made on the transport ships while in the military.

enjoy

[/ QUOTE ]