Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Default Re: The Well: Riverboatking

[ QUOTE ]
but i do know a bunch of fun places all over LA so if you need more specific recommendations i can provide them.

[/ QUOTE ]

A few rec would be great. Ty.

- B
Old 01-23-2007, 02:56 PM

Has everyone seen the Dean pool trick shot vid?

edit: thought this was a Dean thread.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:23 PM

As you moved trough levels;

1.Did you find that when you where able to beat/crush a level it had prepared you for the next one or was there a a new mindset you had to learn/incoorporate to get comfortable at the next level?

2. Was/has/is your Br managment always sound?

Stokken
Old 01-23-2007, 03:25 PM

Jonas:

Do your parents/ signfigant other approve of your life style as a proffesional high stakes poker player?
Old 01-23-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
however my count should be adjusted to reflect the fact that for a year of this time i have been in a serious relationship.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd just like to point out that this is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Thanks for doing this RBK
Old 01-23-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 01-23-2007, 04:46 PM

I thought I'd throw this out there for you (and anyone else going to Commerce): There is a great Taco place maybe 7 miles or so away from Commerce called Chema's Tacos on Whittier blvd & Palm just east of the 605. It's a little out of the way (esp. if you are coming from the Westside like me), but it is completely worth it. Incredible tacos. Get the Al Pastor (Asada is great too).
Old 01-23-2007, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Generic q but whatever - how much of an edge does being able to read body language give a live player?

[/ QUOTE ]

i have a friend that is amazing at picking up physical tells, its def. not my specialty.
i don't think that its too prevalent in bigger games as players are generally better at concealing, however every once in a while you pick up something pretty useful.

i remember there was this one real laggy player who was always giving me problems, however after a while i noticed a difference in the way he stacked his chips when he was bluffing vs when he had a hand, and i was able to make some big plays at him.

Neon if you read this thread its the day we played together at commerce 20/40NL and i made a couple of big 4 bet bluffs vs that young asian dude that was pretty good.
chime in if you rememmber.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man, yeah. You remember that big hand I was in against him when we both noticed his tell and were giving each other the eyes big time?

So Jonas and this young Asian dude are lagging it up pretty good at Commerce 20-40 NL, the three of us and maybe one other at the table are pretty deep, me and the Asian kid specifically are like $25k+ deep. I'm basically playing pretty taggish postflop with the occasional move thrown in, waiting for the kid to make a mistake and enjoying watching him and rbk go back and forth in their infinite lagtardedness ([img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), when this hand--the details of which I've tried to sort out but are still a bit hazy since it occurred at the tail end of like a 20 hour session--comes up:

(Oh, and before this hand went down, Jonas and I were taking a break and talking about the game when he told me about a tell he picked up on from the Asian kid, who was pretty tough and giving both of us problems. Something about the way he cut his chips when he had a real hand, I don't remember exactly what, not that important anyway).

So there's a straddle, a caller or two in EP, then the kid makes some big blown up raise in LP, I call behind him w/ 77, one or two callers behind me.

Flop is A73r. Checked to the kid, he bets, I think I just called.

Turn is 2o. Kid checks, I bet a bunch, and now as he's CR'ing me huge, he gives off his tell, at which point Jonas and I have the following conversation with our eyes:

neon: "Holy shi.t. That was the tell, wasn't it?"
rbk: "Dude, that was the tell. He's got it! Get out."
neon: "Oh my god. Dude, I have a monnnnnnnnster tho."

I was legitimately concerned about 45 at this point b/c of the tell, the fact that the kid had only shown down monsters when he gave it off, and his tendency thus far to respect me when a lot of chips went in . . .

So I called. The river was either a 4 or a 5, and he tanked and checked. I checked behind pretty quickly, for as I recall, we had just about the perfect amount in our stacks relative to pot size for him to pull a sick river CR pooooosh.

Funny tho, the one time I've ever based my play in a hand on a Rounders-esque tell--as opposed to more general body-language tells like, Does he like his hand? or, Is he comfortable?--it was both totally accurate, and cost me a lot of money. Kid had A2o.

Thanks for doing this Jonas. Awesome thread, I'm sure people are learning tons from this.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:59 PM

awesome
Old 01-23-2007, 05:24 PM

great thread, thanks RBK, that decision by the Bike sounds really unjust

How do you stay alert and patient playing live? Is it because you mostly play live and havent got used to getting many more hands an hour in (like u can online?) I find playing live I often get bored and attempt some reckless plays