Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2007, 09:33 AM

Default my shirt screening idea.

i've been thinking about running a screen printing buisness out of my apartment for a while. i've been playing poker professionally for 2 years though and haven't really been able to justify giving up my time for doing it. as poker's end seems to be approaching, i think now would be a good time to start. here's what i'm thinking of doing:

1) setting up a t shirt printing press in my spare room. i have a basic idea of how this works but i may need to get some help, either in the form of finding someone knowlegable online to talk to, or even getting someone in to help me with it.

2) find t shirts that seem to be selling well on ebay. any type of shirt. start making said shirt myself, but charge a little bit less. i have other ideas for shirts too, i have always been into punk rock and know there is a good demand for bootlegs of old band shirts ( risk of getting sued is pretty much zero with the bands i'm talking about ), plus i'm just a creative person in general so i'm assuming i can think up a lot of quality designs.

3) to eliminate having a ton of shirts sitting around that i can't sell, my idea is to make the screens which you use to print a shirt, and then not clean them afterwards. that way i will only have to make the screen once and i will be able to make more shirts whenever i need to. so that way, if i have a shirt design that i am capable of making, i can put it up for sale on ebay many times for a cost of ~$1 and then be able to easily print the shirt myself if it sells.

i'm tired and woozy but i just wanted to get this idea out here and see what people think, especially if someone has experience in this type of thing.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:47 PM

Default Re: my shirt screening idea.

1) I can't help you there, but if you poke around on google, I think you'll be able to find some good silk screening resources. Also, you may be able to find somewhere near where you live that offers courses in silk screening. My sister has taken such a course.

2) I'm not sure bootlegging is a great way to go... Just because these bands aren't mainstream/popular, doesn't mean they won't sue you if you end up making some money at this. The risk is probably not zero. I'd suggest using your creativity to come up with new designs. Maybe you can network with local bands where you live to design their t-shirts that they sell.

3) But then won't you have to store all these screens? I don't know how much room they take up... Maybe this is trivial?

Anyway, It sounds to me like a fun idea, however, you may want to do some more research before plunging in.

Read: http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com...id_frat-b.html

I'm not saying you can't be successful though.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Default Re: my shirt screening idea.

[ QUOTE ]
1) I can't help you there, but if you poke around on google, I think you'll be able to find some good silk screening resources. Also, you may be able to find somewhere near where you live that offers courses in silk screening. My sister has taken such a course.

2) I'm not sure bootlegging is a great way to go... Just because these bands aren't mainstream/popular, doesn't mean they won't sue you if you end up making some money at this. The risk is probably not zero. I'd suggest using your creativity to come up with new designs. Maybe you can network with local bands where you live to design their t-shirts that they sell.

3) But then won't you have to store all these screens? I don't know how much room they take up... Maybe this is trivial?

Anyway, It sounds to me like a fun idea, however, you may want to do some more research before plunging in.

Read: http://www.iwillteachyoutoberich.com...id_frat-b.html

I'm not saying you can't be successful though.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome link, and thanks for the advice.