Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > Special Sklansky Forum
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Rating The Best Woman In Each Sport Part 1

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody Ever heard of "The King and his court"?

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW, that brings me back. I saw Eddie Feigner pitch -- 35 or 40 years ago. Unfortunately, it was one of the team's rare losses to, if I remember correctly, a Woman's softball team.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if this is the same guy but I read about a guy who could pitch like 100 MPH in softball. I'm sure that if men played softball that men would be vastly superior to women in pitching.
Edit: looks like this is the guy
Old 01-18-2007, 12:19 AM

Default Re: My Guess And Some Comments

[ QUOTE ]
Golf- 2000

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jennie Finch would still be the best softball pitcher if men were allowed to compete. No MLB pitcher trains their arm in this manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't train "in this manner" because they don't play softball. If they were dedicated (and got paid enough) they would. LMAO, "would still be the best" So NO man would be able to pitch softball better than her?

Wait...you're just joking right?

[/ QUOTE ]

training isn't an option for this hypothetical. they have to be good enough right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

You sound like you don't know men play fastpitch softball.

Mens Fastpitch

I'd bet she's better than some but not all of the men pitchers in this event.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 PM

"Feigner's fastest pitch was clocked at 104 miles per hour He pitched 930 no-hitters, 238 perfect games, and struck out 141,517 batters pitching from second base, centerfield, behind his back and between his legs and blindfolded.

In a nationally televised game against Major Leaguers, he struck out, consecutively, baseball legends, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Brooks Robinson Willie McCovey, Maurey Wills, and Harmon Killebrew, His last pitch was at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney Australia where he threw out the first ball of the Softball competition. He suffered a stroke the next day which ended his pitching career at 75."

Suck it Finch.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First I want to make it clearer that I was seeking a number ranking for each sport. I also do not mean for this to be a "volleyball" question. In other words do not assume that men take up the sport who haven't.

Tennis- 3000. Based on what I have been told.

Golf- 2000. The fellow who said that the courses where a woman competed against men were handpicked for her STILL missed the point. There is a mathematical mistake of major magnitude going on when people point to the fact that she beat 20% of the men. I alluded to it in another thread.

100 Meters- 30,000 A guess based on the fact that many of the men who would beat her tomorrow are not presently track athletes.

Softball- 100,000. Suppose baseball players had to play softball instead. Would any woman make a minor league or college team?

Shot Put- 10,000,000. Perhaps there is a flukey exception out there. I don't want to meet her.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think all of your numbers are off, particularly golf and tennis.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:31 AM

it seems the public perception of high level men's profession tennis is severely undervalued. the top woman has no shot of cracking the top 1000.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
YOu can't just use the big marathoners since if you are a 2:17 male marathoner, you can either run the big marahons and get zero dollars or run the second teir ones and make 5k dollars.

If you just look at the yearly lists (track and field news has them), a woman will show up around 80 or so depending on the year. Courses differ a bit so this is an exact comparision.

The real number is a lot worse since there are a bunch of 5/10/half marathoners who didn't race a marathon but who could beat the best woman if it was worth their time. Around 200 would be my initial guess

[/ QUOTE ]

as someone who used to compete in long-distance running at a high level, i can say that this post is the most accurate one in the thread regarding marathoning...

as far as olympic track and field events go, the marathon is the one where females can come closest to competing with males, as the physiology of the event does not emphasize qualities such as pure strength, where men have a more decided advantage...

paula radcliffe, before her injuries/childbirth, was a consistent 2:15-2:17 marathoner... my guess is that if the marathon were the ONLY long-distance race contested (i.e., if every serious male distance runner were to train for the marathon), several hundred would run faster... as things are now, i'd say there are a few hundred who are currently capable of running sub-2:15...
Old 01-23-2007, 02:40 AM

I think his Tennis is right on.

A top 5 man would probably be even money for any women to score a single point off him per set.

My general rule of thumb is women are two levels of competition worse than men. IE women on world cup soccer teams make crappy college teams. This doesn't hold for some things. Women's basketball can't beat most high school teams. But there are high school kids in the NBA so this does break down.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Softball-
For positions other then pitcher I would expect the top ranked player at each position to be the top ranked corresponding baseball player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a chance. 90 foot bases compared to 60 foot bases, different release point, flat mound, different swing mechanics entirely, fielding strategy is different, stolen bases work differently, bunting is a huge factor, etc, etc.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tennis: 350

Golf: 75

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl yeah ooooooooooookay