Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Re: So fraternity rush started tonight..

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I went to UF, isnt the TKE house big enough for like 5 people to live in? I remember it was seriously 1/10 the size of the other houses. Did it change or what

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, we recolonized 3 years ago, we now have a house on the row with 30 guys living in it and our chapter is between 80-90 brothers right now, before this spring rush.

I also don't understand the hating on fraternities here.. we are a non-hazing fraternity, although I realize there are a lot of TKE chapters that aren't. I came to UF from NJ, and TKE chapters are Rutgers and other schools in NJ are known for hazing and being ridiculous. Once again, don't judge a whole fraternity by a few chapters, my chapter has never hazed and hopefully never will. We don't sodomize or beat the [censored] out of pledges, and I've never understood why anyone would stand for that if these guys are trying to be your friends.

But why all the anti-greek sentiment here? Going TKE was the best decision I've ever made. One of my pledge brothers was a bar manager downtown and got me a job as a bouncer my freshman year, I went to Miami last spring break and stayed at one of my friend's houses for free, I've gotten involved on campus, my GPA has gone up and we help each other with classes, we have socials and parties and free bar tabs all the time.. I don't see where the hating comes in. "Duur, all frats are gay and uh, suck each others dicks and uh, wear pink, ha ha ha." Yeah, right. Cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I graduated in '02. When I was at UF I lived accross the street from the TKE house at the time (on 10th St), and I'm pretty sure the house I rented w/friends was bigger (brag, lol). Glad to see you guys moving up in the Greek world. Go Gators!!
Old 01-22-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you do like the guys in the fraternity you are pledging, then you are a dbag.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

Not intended as humor. The first step to recovery is realizing that you have a problem. GL with that.

[/ QUOTE ]
somebody had a bad experience/was a loser in college.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, at least not when I was there.

And do you know me Max, or are you the search funtion guru? I think I only mentioned my involvement with them once here and it was 6 months ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then I apologize for insinuating you had to do something like that based on my knowledge of more recent pledge classes there.

I remember all kinds of random stuff, that just had a special reason to stay in my head.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Just sent you a PM, Max. I hope you're not screwing around with me.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 PM

There already has been topics on this. I'm suprised at how people are really ignorant and close-mindedness.

Theanswer, also my fraternity brother does a good job explaining,
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post7536664
Old 01-22-2007, 04:55 PM

lol.

Max is kind of a tool, but I'll vouch for him. And his claims.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:02 PM

ok, I hope you 2 aren't trolling me. I'm srsly getting creeped out here and want more info. plz respond to my PMs.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:14 PM

People are silly.

here's my 2 (or more) cents.

Background: i went to college summer pre-frosh admission thingy and met some guys from a few frats. we partied, drank and smoked. i got along best with some guys from this one frat (yes, i do call my country a [censored]). i pledged that frat and got hazed. relative to what is being talked about here and all the non-hazing sentiment, i recon i got hazed pretty freaking hard. no nudity, no starvation, no beatings. just running/pushups/wallsits/drinking songs/more pushups/ hellweek (involved 2 days of no talking...which, if you did talk, resulted in more of the above...also, we had one muslim who didn't drink so he was excused from all drinking games).

that process took me from an egotistical as*hole to a much more humble and respectful individual. it also brought me very close with the brothers in the house. i took a semester and did nothing for the house. after that i got very involved. i held a bunch of positions including president and social chair.

we had mixers, some kick*ass parties and did some community service work. one semester we even had the fluke occurance of having the highest GPA among the greeks. hazing was an institution for us and never had any real incidents. it does take work to make sure it doesn't get out of control though and that conscious effort probably separates the bad frats (hazing wise) from the good ones.

Thoughts: i dont think any blanket statement can be made about frats in general as they are an institution formed around individuals. those individuals determine the degree/extent to which events and other stuff occurrs. other stuff includes hazing and if handled in a responsible manner, hazing is a useful tool to shape boys into men in conjunction with the responsibility associated with joining an organization like a frat.

i'm sure i'll chime in but feel free to ask clarifying questions.

thanks for listening and having an open mind.

Barron
Old 01-22-2007, 05:26 PM

Um I went to UF and was in a fraternity. TKE is by the worst fraternity on campus. I think they have like 10 members.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People are silly.

here's my 2 (or more) cents.

Background: i went to college summer pre-frosh admission thingy and met some guys from a few frats. we partied, drank and smoked. i got along best with some guys from this one frat (yes, i do call my country a [censored]). i pledged that frat and got hazed. relative to what is being talked about here and all the non-hazing sentiment, i recon i got hazed pretty freaking hard. no nudity, no starvation, no beatings. just running/pushups/wallsits/drinking songs/more pushups/ hellweek (involved 2 days of no talking...which, if you did talk, resulted in more of the above...also, we had one muslim who didn't drink so he was excused from all drinking games).

that process took me from an egotistical as*hole to a much more humble and respectful individual. it also brought me very close with the brothers in the house. i took a semester and did nothing for the house. after that i got very involved. i held a bunch of positions including president and social chair.

we had mixers, some kick*ass parties and did some community service work. one semester we even had the fluke occurance of having the highest GPA among the greeks. hazing was an institution for us and never had any real incidents. it does take work to make sure it doesn't get out of control though and that conscious effort probably separates the bad frats (hazing wise) from the good ones.

Thoughts: i dont think any blanket statement can be made about frats in general as they are an institution formed around individuals. those individuals determine the degree/extent to which events and other stuff occurrs. other stuff includes hazing and if handled in a responsible manner, hazing is a useful tool to shape boys into men in conjunction with the responsibility associated with joining an organization like a frat.

i'm sure i'll chime in but feel free to ask clarifying questions.

thanks for listening and having an open mind.

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

well said. i think in general, for the most part at least, the guys on this forum that are/were part of fraternities are successful and driven individuals, whether it be playing poker or with academics. With that being said, I think the successful/driven individuals tend to gravitate towards people and fraternities with the same goals and morals. I think it is apparent that the successfully driven individuals were probably a part of or are currently a part the upper echelon of fraternities, therefore having a very positive position on fraternities. However, it doesn't matter what anyone says because it's going to be hard to change anyone's opinion on this subject, especially if they took a really negative stance on fraternities.

"Haters wanna hate, lovers wanna love, i don't want none of the above, I wanna piss on you" -Dave Chappelle