Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 08:47 AM

Location: 6max PLO @ Tilt, 6max NLHE @ Party (non monster!!!)
Default 2006 PWI awards

I use to look forward to this magazine back when I was a teenager but I just looked at the results from this past year from toprope.com and was stupified on the Match of the Year winner but I'll give my opinion of all.

Rookie of the Year: The Boogeyman--wtf, wasn't he injured in late March and then released? I heard he was hired back to Smackdown but that wasn't before December I don't believe.

Inspirational Wrestler of the Year: Matt Cappotelli-w/e, had cancer

Most Improved Wrestler of the Year: Bobby Lashley-again I don't watch Smackdown but caught his first few matches but meh. I'm sure some TNA guy deserved this award.

Comeback of the Year: Sting-personally I hate him and wish he'd go away. He is the reason that I stopped watching TNA. Way to corny.

Woman of the Year: Trish Stratus-ok

Feud of the Year: John Cena vs. Edge-this would get my vote.

Most Popular Wrestler of the Year: Samoa Joe-I don't get it.

Most Hated Wrestler of the Year: Edge-He wouldn't get my vote but I understand how the fans would vote this way.

Match of the Year: Shawn Michaels vs. Vince McMahon-totally befuddling.

Tag Team of the Year: A. J. Styles & Christopher Daniels-Didn't they just start teaming up in September or something?

Wrestler of the Year: John Cena-I don't like it but w/e, prob. the best.

Stanley Weston Award: Harley Race-don't know what this award is.

Back to my original reason for posting...Match of the year. I hadn't seen this match until about 45 mins ago on dailymotion.com and it was awful. It was Michaels pounding Mr. McMahon for 25 minutes. Alot of it was just setting up for spots and Michaels teasing the crowd. This goes directly into Most Hated of the Year...How could people vote for Edge yet have the match of the year be a lopsided contest and those same people not vote for Mr. McMahon as most hated? Also how could these same people not vote this feud of the year if it was match of the year. I have to say that AT LEAST a couple dozen TNA Impact matches would be more compitive and entertaining than this debacle.

I guess I just miss the old days when I was really into wrestling and could watch ECW tv at 1am in 96/97/98 and just about every other match could have gone up for match of the year and how much wrestling has deteriated and the fans minds seem have to done the same.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: 2006 PWI awards

I miss those old ecw shows that were on upn (at least in PA)at 1 am back in the late 90s. I still think one of the greatest matches I ever saw was the Franchise/2 Cold Scorpio match where douglas won the tv title for the first time. TNA and WWE today cannot compete as far as great wrestling action is concerned with the late 90s ECW.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Yeah, Match of the Year was a pretty bad choice. I would have thought one of these matches would be picked:

- NY's Revolution - Elimination Chamber
- Samoa Joe vs. Kurt Angle (take your pick)
- Armageddon Ladder Match for Tag Titles (Hardyz/MNM/Kendrick and London/Taylor and Regal)
- RVD vs. Cena ECW PPV
- Edge vs. Mick Foley Hardcore match at WM

Hasn't been a good year for great matches with Vince being involved/Spirit Squad/Cena as Champ [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Edge I'd agree with as most-hated (he also won that award in WWE magazine). His long feud with Cena (incl. beating up his dad), his Mick Foley feud, his Conchairtos to Ric Flair, alliance with Orton all big factors.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still think one of the greatest matches I ever saw was the Franchise/2 Cold Scorpio match where douglas won the tv title for the first time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great match. Which lead to a series of great TV title matches that summer, culminating in the classic 4 way match (Which Rover posted here a while back BTW)
Old 01-22-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I use to look forward to this magazine back when I was a teenager...

[/ QUOTE ]

Even after I stopped buying PWI, I picked up the year-end issue for a few years. I've got the 1981, 1983-1990? issues in a box back in Massachusetts.