Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Which limit holdem book should I pick?

[ QUOTE ]
SSHE is generally for Limit, but you can still apply the concepts in the book. I'd say it is a great starting book that will lay down a good fundamental base.

After that, I'd say HOH1. Read it like 3x or more... It's a tourney book, but most of the concepts and strategy rolls over to cash games.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the reply, [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I was asking for limit, I have read Harrington's book too. It's great for cash game too. After reading it, I went on to trash the cash games, keeping notes on my opponent's betting patterns. Still, losing a whole or 2 buy-ins within a few hands on a bad beat is totally brutal.

thinking of switching to limit.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:51 AM

To parrot some:

Winning Low Limit Hold'em by Jones (3rd Edition)

and then, after you can fully explain the hows and whys of the play described there, you can move on to:

Small Stakes Hold'em by Ed Miller and rest of the 2+2 gang.

Learn what not to do and basic super solid play first, then learn what you can get away with once you have more knowledge and can understand the basic and advanced concepts that support the play in Small Stakes Hold'em. You will leave some money on the table with Lee's book, but it will keep you from massive spewage and a huge initial hole to dig yourself out of at the start of your “career”. Also, this will give you a solid and safe foundation you can revert back to if/when things start to go bad ~ and this WILL HAPPEN if you play long enough, I don't care who you are or what you claim.

That is what I would recommend to anyone looking to start limit and/or start to study the game.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:10 AM

I TOTALLY forgot the other great starter: Getting Started in Texas Hold'em by Ed...get that with his <font color="red"> red </font> one (Small Stakes) and you will be all set for now.