Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 10:17 PM

Default Re: How many re-raises before you fold KK?

I don't care, I don't fold KK preflop unless I'm uber-deep and up against a Rock, and even then, it depends. In tourneys, never.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:49 PM

I'm sure the OP meant this thread to be serious, but it's [censored] ridiculous how funny some of the posts are.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:35 AM

You should never fold preflop because you should flat call before he would get the chance to put in the raise that always means aces. So should he.

I know I'm disregarding some infinity paradoxes and infinite implied odds or some such, but the point is flat call when his range is wider than {AA} or even {KK+}.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably when the re-raises reach the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop.

[/ QUOTE ]
so, three?
Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM

"The fourth raise is aces" is one of the most reliable bits of poker potted wisdom IMO. I'm not sure I've ever seen this dictum fail assuming equivalent stacks.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:51 AM

Depends upon the player and level that your playing. Online/B&M... Some play AKs like the nuts...
Old 01-22-2007, 03:13 AM

The following is an excerpt from Phil Gordons Little Green Book (great book).

The fourth raise means aces.

Now i know better. When i have alot of chips in comparison to the blinds, i nearly always try to make the third raise with K-K so that i can get away from the hand if my opponent makes the fourth raise all in.

I found this to be exceptionally true. However it does go on to say that if your image or your opponents image is loose and/or unreasonable that folding kings shouldnt be so automatic.

Hope that helps. Jack Seven Suited. Always pans out.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jack Seven Suited. Always pans out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, all I can say is don't call four way action with it when you have less than 2 full rounds in chips at the Normandie tournament or you will get a long lecture from ATs on what a horrible play it was.

I started to defend myself . . . then I thought, "Why should I give lessons for free?"
Old 01-22-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"The fourth raise is aces" is one of the most reliable bits of poker potted wisdom IMO. I'm not sure I've ever seen this dictum fail assuming equivalent stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? As you move up in limits, more and more people put in a fourth raise with less. I am not claiming to know what levels you play...But even at 2/4 no limit, players are 3-betting lighter which has the effect of often 4-betting them lighter than usual. I'll 4-bet shove at least AK, QQ+ almost 100% of the time depending on the player. There has been much discussion of Grimstarr (one of the high stakes players) and his need to shove preflop with AQ.

I think the real answer to when to fold kk is that it depends. If I have played 1000 hands against a player that has only ever 3-bet me with aces, then I am never shoving KK. If I have 1000 hands against a player that has 3-bet me half of all my raised hands, I might be inclined to shove 99.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:50 PM

I'm curious how many of you would lay down KK in a cash ring game though. Gordon was talking specifically about tournaments in his example and I can understand why I'd want to lay KK down in a tourney where I want to avoid coin flips under certain circumstances.

But in a cash game wouldn't pushing KK in such circumstances pay off? Obviously it depends on your reads, stack sizes, table image and situation, etc. But if I have KK what are the chances that the next guy has AA?

The reason I ask this is I remember a specific game where I pushed all-in to the 4th raise. It was a $1/$2 NL cash game on FTP and certain enough he had AA.

I think I should've probably paid more attention to be honest. Why am I re-raising unless to put another player on a range of hands and give me more action preflop? If I take that information and disregard it then I do so at my own peril.

But looking in hindsight I think I would've done the same thing considering how many push AK like it's the nuts and not just a strong drawing hand. I made a "mistake" in the sense that I didn't play correctly according to theory, but was my play justified? I think so. I'll play KK strong because over time it will win more than it loses and if I come up against AA then it's a cooler.

Am I totally off base?