Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Going to Chicago for the SB, where to go and stay?

Hey, I'm a huge Chicago Bears fan and am going to Chicago for the SB with a couple of friends, but we've never been and have no idea where to stay. I'd like to be some place that is close to the good sports bars, or alternatively in a decent neighborhood that is close to other stuff via cab. A link to a google map of a general area would be very helpful. Also, any recs on good nightlife would be appreciated. My friends and I are 24 and in to bars or clubs, but probably not any really exclusive club. I'm meeting a friend of mine from Chicago there, but I'd like to get OOT's opinion in case we're on our own for a night or two.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Going to Chicago for the SB, where to go and stay?

So your going to Chicago to watch the game at a sports bar....

May I inquire why you are a huge bears fan if you have never been to Chicago before?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So your going to Chicago to watch the game at a sports bar....

May I inquire why you are a huge bears fan if you have never been to Chicago before?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a Bears fan cause my Dad grew up there, but all his family ended up dispersing. I grew up on the east coast and my mom hated flying, so that pretty much cancelled out any chances of going there when I was young. And I'm only 24 so I don't think not going there yet is ridiculous.

And I'm not just going to watch the game. I'm going to see the aforementioned friend who I have not seen in several years and he is a really fun guy to hang out with.

Now can you help me with my original question, or do you want to cross examine me more?
Old 01-22-2007, 12:47 AM

Wait, so are you going to the Super Bowl or just going during Super Bowl time to watch the game in a bar and visit a friend? Seems odd, but whatever.

Why don't you just stay with your friend in Chicago? That's what I do anywhere I know someone. How many other friends are you going with? What is your itinerary of things you'd like to do while in Chicago? I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish with this trip and if someone doesn't understand that it is usually pretty hard to give a useful opinion.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:49 AM

I don't know how much you want to spend on a place to stay, but as far as bars and watching the Super Bowl goes, go down to Clark Street. Get down there and you'll have a ton of places to watch the game.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, so are you going to the Super Bowl or just going during Super Bowl time to watch the game in a bar and visit a friend? Seems odd, but whatever.

Why don't you just stay with your friend in Chicago? That's what I do anywhere I know someone. How many other friends are you going with? What is your itinerary of things you'd like to do while in Chicago? I'm not quite sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish with this trip and if someone doesn't understand that it is usually pretty hard to give a useful opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Super Bowl is in Miami, so yeah he's going to Chicago to watch it on TV.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Super Bowl is in Miami, so yeah he's going to Chicago to watch it on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I clearly have seen a total of one American Football game this whole year. Just can't get it in Sweden or Argentina [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I think the Super Bowl might actually be broadcast though. What day is it?
Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is that odd? The atmosphere in Chicago will be sick. I was in Boston when NE won their fisrst SB and it was a blast. It will be a lot more fun watching the game in Chicago than where I live with a bunch of NY Giants fans who will probably care more about the commercials. Also this is a perfect excuse to visit my friend who lives in Chicago.

As for my other goals on the trip:
a) go out at night and meet girls with morally casual attitudes
b) do a couple of touristy things in Chicago, but nothing too rigorous.

Edited to add: It appears your not from America. Think about why people went to Germany during the World Cup even though 99% of those people didnt have tickets to any of the games. The SB is not nearly that crazy but being in Chicago will definitely be more fun than anywhere else (other than at the actual game of course).
Old 01-22-2007, 01:15 AM

Save your Chicago trip for another time instead of the middle of winter and go to Wrigley and the Billy Goat Tavern instead.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:20 AM

I'm American. I just don't live there anymore. I still think it's odd.