Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Play advice?

Hey, I just started playing weekly home games with some of my friends. There can be anywhere from 4-6, people total, usually on the shorter end. We do it tournament style.
1,000 starting chips.
5/10 starting blinds
We kind of raise blinds when the consensus is to do so (10/20 then 15/30). When we get to heads up we raise it to 25/50.
Payout goes...
1st: 70%
2nd: 30%

Sooo anyway, I think I'm losing because I'm playing too many hands. There are two pretty solid players who don't make terrible plays very often. The others aren't very good, and can go from a substantial chip lead to bust very quickly.
Going by Sklansky's table, the loosest of them will play anything group 8 and higher, plus any ace. The tightest of them will play group 7 and higher. They never take position into account, any of them.
The game usually lasts an hour or two, and in that whole period the blinds are stolen once or twice. Players usually want to see every card, so most hands go down to the river.

So that's the information about my game, what hands should I play and how should I play them?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Play advice?

If your playing a tourney, the blinds need to consistently go up, either by time or by the number of hands played.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:07 PM

IMO - Tournament play with less than 8 people may not be very profitable, especially with the crew you just described.

To answer your question, try a super TAG approach. You may not have the chip leap when HU, but atleast you'll have a shot at the money.

Have you tried some low-limit or low-no-limit cash games?

P [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 PM

I agree - tight aggressive is how you wanna play - but not overly so since you are short-handed. Raise and re-raise pre-flop with pairs and big cards. When you hit 'em, keep the hammer down. If you don't hit em, have the discipline to get out - especially if you face multiple players still in the hand.

If you have patience, you should at least be able to make second in a majority of your mini-tourneys.

Good luck -

Spike