Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Courts decide - Poker is not a game of skill......

[ QUOTE ]
wtf...anyone with half a brain knows poker is skill based. [censored] morans

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this several times here at 2+2. Please don't puff out your chest and summon up the brilliant statement that someone is a moron, AND THEN MISSPELL "MORON."

Sorry. Guess it's just too much irony for 8AM.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:00 AM

It's only a game of skill when I'm in the game. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

"If it weren't for luck, I'd win every time."
Old 01-21-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wtf...anyone with half a brain knows poker is skill based. [censored] morans

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this several times here at 2+2. Please don't puff out your chest and summon up the brilliant statement that someone is a moron, AND THEN MISSPELL "MORON."

Sorry. Guess it's just too much irony for 8AM.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2007, 07:11 PM

Old 01-21-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This actually has some positive potential tax ramifications for the commonwealth.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? No it doesn't. Court decisions in the UK have no influence on most (I'd guess all, but I don't know for sure) commonwealth countries. Since your avatar had a Canadian flag, I'll add that it definitely doesn't have any effect on Canada.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned Poker pros should be pushing to have their winnings taxed like any other self-employed person. If you make your money playing poker you should be pushing to pay taxes on your net profit for the year. After all everybody else working is paying taxes on their income, why should you be exempt. It would go far in convincing the World that Poker has become a mature industry with respectable people.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:34 PM

This is a great ruling for people in the UK. Games that are of skill are taxed, those deemed not are tax free. Horay!
Old 01-21-2007, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This actually has some positive potential tax ramifications for the commonwealth.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? No it doesn't. Court decisions in the UK have no influence on most (I'd guess all, but I don't know for sure) commonwealth countries. Since your avatar had a Canadian flag, I'll add that it definitely doesn't have any effect on Canada.

Oh, and as far as I'm concerned Poker pros should be pushing to have their winnings taxed like any other self-employed person. If you make your money playing poker you should be pushing to pay taxes on your net profit for the year. After all everybody else working is paying taxes on their income, why should you be exempt. It would go far in convincing the World that Poker has become a mature industry with respectable people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer tax free-dollars thanks.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:00 PM

Good for you, so does everybody else. But as a society we've decided that its worth it for people to give money to our Government in order for them to provide certain goods and services.

People that want to argue Poker is a game of skill to avoid gambling laws, but then don't want to pay tax on the income they earned, can't have it both ways. My point is that if we want Poker to gain respectability and an informed and reasonable legal standing, we have to accept ALL of the consequences, not just the ones we want. The consequence of people making a living off of a game of skill is that those people should be paying taxes the same as any other person making their living off something that takes work and skill.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:12 PM

Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table at the World Series of Poker every single year?
What are they, the luckiest guys in Las Vegas?