Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Can I raise/fold THIS river?

I like it. Your river raise pretty much represents exactly what you have, and he is saying he can beat it 2:1. I guess he could be going nuts with KQd but why worry about such things. He obviously has some type of made hand, so if he's your standard player, and you don't have him on tilt, why isn't he just happy to see a showdown?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

BB bets, can I raise/fold here?

[/ QUOTE ]

You know the guy.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:59 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

i'm kind of tempted to just call depending on my read of villian
Old 01-20-2007, 05:51 PM

If you raise and he 3 bets, calling that 3 bet would be retarded. The people who said raise/call have clearly never played live poker.

-DeathDonkey
Old 01-21-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The people who said raise/call have clearly never played live poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-21-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Deathdonkey's sentiment about raise/calling. But I'm with goofball on the idea of just calling the river.

I think against this guy bob, calling the river may be your best play of all. Depending on what he thinks of you, he may not even call your turn raise with ace high, which means on the river hes either bluffing(very unlikely since most live players dont make this kind of pressure play after that action) or betting a weak hand(again unlikely) that wont call a raise or he has AA and hes hoping you raise.

Now we could make the argument that this guy could have AJ, but in my experience most live players wont bet the river with AJ on that board after your turn raise cuz they will be paralyzed in their fear of trip 8s.

Certainly if you think this guy will play AJ this way every street then you must raise the river cuz even raise/calling makes more money than just calling cuz you will be a 3-1 favorite to have the best hand against a range of AA or AJ.

Another thing to consider, is even if this guy did call your turn raise with a hand like AK, he still may be good enough to not call your river raise. You said hes a decent winning player so he might be capable of making this good fold knowing AK is toast given the way you played your hand.

Ultimately, the river play comes down to how this guy will play AJ. If he will donk AJ on the river then you must raise. If he will check/call the river with a hand like AJ, then I think its easy to see that just calling the river will be your best play.

BTW, river is an easy raise/call online.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Deathdonkey's sentiment about raise/calling. But I'm with goofball on the idea of just calling the river.

I think against this guy bob, calling the river may be your best play of all. Depending on what he thinks of you, he may not even call your turn raise with ace high, which means on the river hes either bluffing(very unlikely since most live players dont make this kind of pressure play after that action) or betting a weak hand(again unlikely) that wont call a raise or he has AA and hes hoping you raise.

Now we could make the argument that this guy could have AJ, but in my experience most live players wont bet the river with AJ on that board after your turn raise cuz they will be paralyzed in their fear of trip 8s.

Certainly if you think this guy will play AJ this way every street then you must raise the river cuz even raise/calling makes more money than just calling cuz you will be a 3-1 favorite to have the best hand against a range of AA or AJ.

Another thing to consider, is even if this guy did call your turn raise with a hand like AK, he still may be good enough to not call your river raise. You said hes a decent winning player so he might be capable of making this good fold knowing AK is toast given the way you played your hand.

Ultimately, the river play comes down to how this guy will play AJ. If he will donk AJ on the river then you must raise. If he will check/call the river with a hand like AJ, then I think its easy to see that just calling the river will be your best play.

BTW, river is an easy raise/call online.

[/ QUOTE ]

he wins $$ in the canterbury 15 game, which doesn't say all that much. anyway, i just called the river. he had ATo. i agree that online this is an easy river raise.

the part that had me scared on the river was his flop dark-shot.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:09 AM

Just fyi, in my experience players that do stuff like this in the dark don't have huge hands. I'd raise the flop against my locals, easily, and expect action from a worse hand (or a few calls.)
Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 PM

that's a raise/call. Your hand is just too strong in too big of a pot to fold for one more bet on the riv, especially when someone is representing a rivered boat.