Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 06:58 AM

Default TT fold preflop?

Advice anywhere in this hand is appreciated

First raiser (UTG) is 46/9/.8
3bettor (UTG+1) is 35/25/2.8
capper (CO) is 28/19/2.3

Preflop was very close for me. I called partially for set value (if i hit a set, i am getting paid off huge)
And I can cautiously play on with a flop I like.
I was very very close to folding, and folding very well could be the correct play.
Also preflop original raiser raises weird stuff, and the 3bettor is very likely isolating.

Capper could have a hand.
6 players

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO caps</font>, Button folds, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (17SB, 4 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

I don't think anyone is folding to a flop checkraise, so I hold off.
Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10BB, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls.

I would have folded obv if it was raised, but I call again i like this passive line here..

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (15BB, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Crying call getting 16 to 1 I think is easy enough to make.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:24 AM

Default Re: TT fold preflop?

not sure about preflop, is close i would definately call here.

On the flop you have a great chance to try and protect/put heaps of pressure on 99, JJ

as played though i would dump it on the turn UTG is repping a huge hand here, raising in a protected pot, i think he has a Q / KK,AA alot here
Old 01-21-2007, 10:29 AM

Preflop this should be an easy fold. You are barely going to make any money unimproved and dont have enough set value.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:58 PM

yes fold preflop
Old 01-21-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop this should be an easy fold. You are barely going to make any money unimproved and dont have enough set value.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-21-2007, 05:14 PM

Its an easy preflop call. You have to put 3.5 bets into a 17 bet pot. Thats 5-1 with the promise of action to come. Easy call. As played, you should c/r the turn in case you are ahead b/c the pot is huge. Looks like you might have actually won it on the turn if UTG doesnt show up with AQ or QQ.

-Jason
Old 01-21-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its an easy preflop call. You have to put 3.5 bets into a 17 bet pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is 17 bets after we have put in the 3.5 bets.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its an easy preflop call. You have to put 3.5 bets into a 17 bet pot. Thats 5-1 with the promise of action to come. Easy call. As played, you should c/r the turn in case you are ahead b/c the pot is huge. Looks like you might have actually won it on the turn if UTG doesnt show up with AQ or QQ.

-Jason

[/ QUOTE ]

You're getting 13.5:3.5, actually. I would fold fairly quickly. I'm concerned with JJ here too, FWIW.

Rob
Old 01-21-2007, 06:07 PM

wow, an utg raise, an utg+1 3-bet, and then the CO just cold caps it and you call in the SB with TT? I would fold this in a heartbeat. This isn't no-limit where we are betting on the implied odds of our hand. Here you are going to be crushed on the flop most of the time unless you flop a set. Even when you flop a set you could lose cuz you have 3 other players that have very good hands (at least one has JJ+) and the better ones (AA/KK) are going to see all 5 cards and can draw out on your set by a flush, higher set, or straight (less likely since u have TT and high cards need a T to make a straight).

What are the odds you need to spike a set? 7-1? I'm just curious. I don't think here the odds in this hand matter so much because there are reverse implied odds associated with flopping a set based on the preflop action. So I can't imagine myself thinking for more than a millisecond what to do with this hand preflop.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:06 PM

Just fold preflop. The problem with calling for set value here is that you are relying on implied odds to make the call profitable. Even with this action, it is much harder to make up the required profit postflop on the 3.5 SB you're investing than it is if you only invest 1 SB preflop.

You should especially fold if calling the hand will lead to compounding errors postflop. Here you miss your set, and are playing out-of-position against a field that already has you crushed or is collectively drawing very live. You ended up putting in 3.5 BB with this hand postflop, so instead of getting the implied odds you needed preflop, you're the one giving nice implied odds for your opponents.