Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2007, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Can i go buy a Wii yet?

OK, waking the gf up and heading out. Better an hour too early than 5 minutes too late, right?
Old 01-21-2007, 07:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, waking the gf up and heading out. Better an hour too early than 5 minutes too late, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm doing the same now, good luck to all.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:30 AM

I'm heading out to get one now too...good luck.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I'm doing the same now, good luck to all.

[/ QUOTE ]

FINALLY

Got there at about 6:40. Some ridiculously nerdy, power hungry types that will get no real shot at authority so they'll rule the target queue with an iron fist, you know the type of guys that would mod a video game forum, were at the front of the line with a list. I was 18th on the list but apparently they didn't have a #5 (counting error I guess) so I was 17th. They had 18 Wiis according to the super nerds. A couple minutes later people came behind us to pick up 18. The front guys apparently got there at 8 last night, which was absurdly unnecesary but they were proud of themselves. They also took great pride in telling the people who showed up later that "we're out of spots" and they could hopefully go to Best Buy. It was ridiculous but they gave us a good laugh at least. The actual Target people gave out tickets at 7:30 or so and we were indeed 17th. They had classic controllers but no wiimotes or nunchuks.

I do find it funny that I called last night just before closing and they told me on the phone that they wouldn't know and yet told the guys that went there then that they had exactly 18.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 AM

Woohoo, got one. There were 34 at my Target and at 6am, I was #5 in line. Time to play...
Old 01-21-2007, 10:27 AM

It was close...but not close enough...

I got there at 8:20...I was #56 in line...my Target had 57 Wiis...AWESOME!!!
Old 01-21-2007, 11:32 AM

AND I just got owned by my wife at bowling. Wasn't withing 60 either game.

She found it a lot of fun, which is a huge sign that the wii will be enjoyed by a wide audience.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:39 AM

Arrived at Target shortly after 5. Not a soul there. Cruised to the BB and CC in the area, not a soul there. Went back to Target, since it had the earliest opening time, and at about 5:45 a lady pulled up and actually got out of her car to be #1 waiting by the door. Its like 40 and steady rain here today. Ridiculous.

Anyways, a short time after 6, a guy comes out and says the don't have any Wiis. Not a single one, nothing. The lady that was waiting said she had just come from another area Target that said the same thing. wtf.

New plan: head to CC for 10AM opening/9AM vouchers. They were nice enough to have a sign saying they had 13 Wiis pasted in the window. When we get there this time there are maybe 3-4 cars with people waiting. We wait a bit and decide its safe to hit McD's and come back, which we do. At about 6:45, some people get out of their car to, again, wait in the cold and rain, this time when they know exactly how many Wiis there are. They're out there by themselves for a while until other [censored] decide they'd rather be in the rain than their car, and they all start to lineup. Leaves us no choice, and we trudge on over to snag #6. Line fills up pretty fast behind us.

Our resident, "Sorry guys <snicker> all filled up!" guy was a 16-year old ginger kid who couldn't shut up about PS2 emulators, Blu-Ray, and Renaissance Fairs. The guy who was reckoned to be #14 decided to stick it out, and when they handed out vouchers the manager said one per household. Behind us in line was a dad and two sons who had said he was planning on getting two.

We didn't stick around to see if that made #14 able to get one.

gf going to drive back shortly after actual open to pick it up.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:49 AM

I woke up at 5:45 and made it out the door around 6:15. Got to the Target at about 6:30 at which point I was maybe 25th in line. Most of the people in front were milling about in groups, so I figured I was somewhere around 10-15th. A few people came after me, maybe 4 or 5 more groups. Temperature was below 32, it has been snowing here for the past few days on and off.

At 7:30, a girl comes out and starts handing little carnival fair tickets to members in the line. They have 22 Wiis. I think I was 17th or so. One group of people that came just before 7:30 were the only ones left out. I told them to try Best Buy.

Store opened at 8 and our tickets were good until noon. A large number left, but I stayed and warmed up in my car because I figured order might matter for Wii-motes. Got in at 8, they had no accessories (motes and chucks), so it didn't matter anyway. Ended up buying Zelda, Trauma Center, and the Wii GameCube controller (for Virtual Console and Metroid Prime).

Hooray!!!!!!! Time for a nap.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:05 AM

Finally found a classic controller at Wal-Mart today, and despite my worries over it being wired...so far I like it a lot.