Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Comments on Negreanu\'s recent blog?

[ QUOTE ]
survival and reproduction, the only thing an animal cares about, often go against being "good."

[/ QUOTE ]
so, animals are capable of sin?
Old 01-20-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So where do you think these good intentions come from? That's the part I don't understand. If people are no different than animals and there is no eternal life, than what's the point of being "good" other than for self-fulfillment. If that's the case, then any insight into why being "good" is fulfilling, because again, there's nothing in us that should make us favor doing good deeds over bad. In fact, survival and reproduction, the only thing an animal cares about, often go against being "good."

[/ QUOTE ]

if you cant already think of a potential answer to your own question, then i dont think someone explaining it to you will help.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant, that given some of ur insane statements above, u most likely wont understand/get it if someone explains it to u.
Old 01-20-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Religion - You cannot make fun of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus etc, but Christianity is the exception. You poke fun at Christians, and their God / Savior you are exempt from lawsuits, anti-defamation leagues etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Christianity is definitely the religion that is oppressed and discriminated against in this country.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So where do you think these good intentions come from? That's the part I don't understand. If people are no different than animals and there is no eternal life, than what's the point of being "good" other than for self-fulfillment. If that's the case, then any insight into why being "good" is fulfilling, because again, there's nothing in us that should make us favor doing good deeds over bad. In fact, survival and reproduction, the only thing an animal cares about, often go against being "good."

[/ QUOTE ]

if you cant already think of a potential answer to your own question, then i dont think someone explaining it to you will help.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it would.

[/ QUOTE ]

i meant, that given some of ur insane statements above, u most likely wont understand/get it if someone explains it to u.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, I'd like to elaborate a little bit on the use of the word "insane."

I'm sure it seems like a strong word, but it is not, at all. I believe it's definitive.

I was raised Catholic. To this moment, when I hear a patently blasphemous statement, I have an almost physically negative reaction. This is due to programming, of course.

When I mentioned "insanity" earlier, I was referring to the fact that we are talking about irrational beliefs here, beliefs that require a "leap of faith."

It is, I think, definitively insane to base one's entire existence and code of conduct upon an entity which is not even remotely empirically evident.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone their right to do so.

I do, however, take offense at utter inanity being passed off as rational thought in the name of this sort of belief, particularly when it culminates in the Crusades or some fantastically entertaining beheadings.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Real or gimmick Daniel Negreanu?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:31 PM

And then God spoke, "Let the Crusades begin. Oh and P.s. Do some beheadings while you are at it."

You are a smart man. Don't let your disdain of your Catholic upbring to cause you to make irrational arguments in order to condemn Christianity.

It appears the anti-religion crowd seems to find it impossible for someone to think rational and to still be religious.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And then God spoke, "Let the Crusades begin. Oh and P.s. Do some beheadings while you are at it."

You are a smart man. Don't let your disdain of your Catholic upbring to cause you to make irrational arguments in order to condemn Christianity.

It appears the anti-religion crowd seems to find it impossible for someone to think rational and to still be religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I always a aprreciate a nice backhanded compliment, I cannot get onboard with the notion that there is anything rational about making a leap of faith.

And "God spoke?"

Really? To whom? How can I get Him to talk to Me?
Old 01-20-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Real or gimmick Daniel Negreanu?

[/ QUOTE ]

Confirmed DN, from several other threads.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Religion - You cannot make fun of Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus etc, but Christianity is the exception. You poke fun at Christians, and their God / Savior you are exempt from lawsuits, anti-defamation leagues etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Christianity is definitely the religion that is oppressed and discriminated against in this country.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm supposed to assume that this is some kind of sarcastic comment, if not I apologize in advance. But yeah, while there are a majority of Christians worldwide, it is cool in this country to bash Christians, it is fine and dandy to constantly go after every symbol of their belief. You can put a cartoon strip up anywhere in the world making fun of Jesus, but Allah forbid you do it of Mohammed because that's just not P.C.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I'm supposed to assume that this is some kind of sarcastic comment, if not I apologize in advance. But yeah, while there are a majority of Christians worldwide, it is cool in this country to bash Christians, it is fine and dandy to constantly go after every symbol of their belief. You can put a cartoon strip up anywhere in the world making fun of Jesus, but Allah forbid you do it of Mohammed because that's just not P.C.

[/ QUOTE ]
people don't make fun of Jesus, they make fun of Christians.