Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > BBV4Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Re: Beat: Resume Gap

[ QUOTE ]
Serious statement: you were an independent probability consultant. Go from there, e.g.: performed statistical and other probability analysis under framework of major international corporate online infrastructure.

Not lying, and if there are questions, the work was "confidential in nature." It is. You don't want people to know what you were doing.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm pretty much fresh out of college though, and most of my other experience isn't that impressive. Isn't this going to sound weird, contrived, and unbelievable? Who hires a probability consultant?

Think this would set off someone's BS radar.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:33 AM

Tell the truth. Tell them how hard you worked, what it was like, how successful you were. A lot of the qualites it takes to get good at poker translate well to the business world. 9 out of 10 bosses will jump all over this. If you're really lucky he plays in a home game every week and has dabbled online. I'm 37, when I meet men my age or older at parties - they're usually pretty enthralled that I'm making a living playing poker.

It's true, some might have the impression of a reckless gambler, and you need to work hard to dispel that. But in general, for an entry-level position, a lot of bosses just want to know that you worked your ass off and got good at SOMETHING in your life.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:55 AM

say you were selling crack
Old 01-20-2007, 08:16 AM

When you lie, it will often bite you in the ass. Keep it simple.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:17 AM

serious answer: don't lie, don't try to dress it up - you'll sound like a tool. In an interview it will give you the opportunity to explain all the good things it taught you - how you supported yourself through a self taught skill, how to succeed you need to learn mental discipline, self-control, quick decision making, blah lblah blah. With the right interviewer it's a godsend. you don't want to work for the wrong one.

BBV answer:, i dunno, just tell them the government won't let you disclose what you were doing.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BackPack trip across europe.... Ever seen Hostel?

Or rehab.

Both are excellent fillers....

Can't forget good ole prison.... When asked why?
You say "I beat my last boss within an inch of his life for giving me a hard time about sleeping with my sister".. Then say "Is that a problem?"

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 01-21-2007, 10:03 AM

I think the answer depends on what field you're going into. Telling people that you were playing poker is a bad idea except in rare circumstances.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the answer depends on what field you're going into. Telling people that you were playing poker is a bad idea except in rare circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

except in all circumstances.. unless you were applying to be a poker dealer. Then I suppose it's ok.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

except in all circumstances.. unless you were applying to be a poker dealer. Then I suppose it's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's totally different than saying it's bad except in rare circumstances. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's totally different than saying it's bad except in rare circumstances. Thanks for the clarification.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem. Glad I could be of service.