Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Default Re: steakhouses...mainly craftsteak vs. delmonico\'s

[ QUOTE ]
Craftsteak is the 2nd best steak I've ever had in my life.

The #1 slot belongs to a place in Madison, WI. You know, they're very close to the source there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Edit to say I've never eaten at Delmonico's in Vegas. Actually my #1 is Johnny Delmonico's in Madison. Don't know if they are related, but I doubt it. (Delmonico is a cut of beef)

[/ QUOTE ]

Not related. The Delmonico's in Vegas is an Emeril restaurant, based off the original Delmonico's in New Orleans.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:28 PM

The two serve very different kind of dishes, actually.

Craftsteak uses the absolute best ingredients and very fresh simple food cooked extremely well. Their ribeye for instance comes out in a copper tray sliced and you might get a side of the best mushrooms you've ever had, but that is all it is - the best mushrooms prepared better than you think was ever possible. And the ice cream just comes by itself on a dish - the absolute best ice cream and sorbet I've ever had - but not covered with anything- the ice cream is so good it doesn't need anything.

Delmonico''s ribeye might come with horseradish whipped potatoes with a rosemary infusion with some truffles sprinkled over it and the ribeye might be rubbed with a pepper rosemary rub or something. Delmonico's desserts might be a rasberry cheesecake with some blueberry/rasberry sauce and a espresso crust.

I'm making up the dishes but you get the idea. I think they are very different styles of cooking. We ate at craftsteak and delmonico's both in two days to compare them and realized how different they are, my wife and I both prefer craftsteak. I have eaten almost everywhere in this town (local) except the really high end stuff like Picasso - and craftsteak is my favorite place. I would also say thet the Kobe is not worth the price premium unless money is no object - the non-Kobe ribeye is just as good.
If you like seafood get the $65 shellfish appetizer. Awesome!
Old 01-19-2007, 04:34 PM

I liked 'em both. Craftsteak is more simply prepared food, Delmonico's a bit more tricked up. Service was outstanding at Delmonico's, a little less so at Craftsteak, but that might well have been because I was at Delmonico's with just one other person (who is somewhat of a regular there), but at Craftsteak with a big group. Delmonicos is the more relaxing atmosphere.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Craftsteak reservations are now available online thru MGM website. This is new. If you want "prime time" make your res. ASAP because I just tried for next Fri. and it was either 6 pm or 9 pm - nothing available in between.

WARNING: They want a credit card to confirm and threaten a $150 charge for no shows w/ a 24 notice provision.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:20 PM

we already have a reservation for delmonico's for 6 that night. ka starts at 9:30, so i'm assuming this will give us enough time to get there.

from the looks of it, i think i'm going to have to eat at both places eventually, so delmonico's it is for this trip.

thanks for the insight everyone
Old 01-19-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The #1 slot belongs to a place in Madison, WI. You know, they're very close to the source there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smokey's, I assume?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:20 PM

The SW at The Wynn is pretty fantastic as well.

AB
Old 01-19-2007, 11:23 PM

Anyone else like Gallager's (sp?) ... or am I just a tourist?
Old 01-19-2007, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Smokey's, I assume?

[/ QUOTE ]

I live in Madison. Smokey's is fantastic, easily the best steak in town ... although the Tornado Room is solid, and so is Fitzgerald's in Middleton.

As far as Vegas goes, I haven't eaten at Delmonico's but I have eaten at Craftsteak. I LOVED Craftsteak's food and atmosphere ... but I would choose the SW Steakhouse at the Wynn over Craftsteak.

So, I would strongly recommend both places, with an edge going to SW.

If you're taking a woman on a date, for sure SW.

Craftsteak, though, might be better for a larger group hoping to be in a livelier setting.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:16 PM

MVPSports says that the steak @ Top of the World (Strat) is the best he's ever had.

I wouldn't know, nor will I ever. Locals don't go up in the Strat Tower. The mofo is gonna fall down someday.