Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 05:04 AM

Default Endgame -- I Suck

I just started playing $20 NL 1-table tourneys on Stars about a month ago after a couple years as a moderate winner in MTTs and ring games.

I've now played a little over 200 sit-&-gos, and I'm down $80. I have more than my share of 2nd & 3rd place finishes, but not nearly enough wins. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong when I get heads-up, but I don't know what.

Can someone kindly point me to a few previous helpful threads on endgame strategy so I can brush up?

I apologize if this is in the FAQ. If it is, I didn't see it.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Endgame -- I Suck

Get one of the end game software in the FAQ to assist you if it's end game problem.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:13 PM

a bit early to sweat your finish distro. 200 games isn't much. push/call more? push/call less? hard telling of course. feel free to post some specific hands.

when to push/call (or when not to) is of course the important question. see the faq for links to "ICM"...and the 2nd sticky for links to software that helps solidify these concepts for you - as well as improve your intuition at game time.

as for posts? searching subject only for things like "push", "call", "ITM", etc. should yield you some specific hands -- where the specifics are COMPLETELY necessary to have before you when trying to get your hands around the end-game stuff. you're more than welcome to bump threads with questions regarding these specifics.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 PM

im down 50 buy ins over that span of time and im not overly concerned with any aspect of my SNG game...if anything you need a bigger sample. id also recommend reading up on the nash equilibrium in SNGPT (id recommend buying sngpt, if that wasnt directly inferred). post some hands, but really reading posts is how i got to be a better STTer. gl

btw with such high variance over big samples you can expect much, much worse runs than -4 buy ins...just putting that out there, its better that you know sooner
Old 01-19-2007, 03:09 PM

Yeah, I'm used to swings, but since I'm new at STTs and things have been going badly heads-up, I thought I'd better check into it.

Thanks for the encouragement and the search tips.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm used to swings, but since I'm new at STTs and things have been going badly heads-up, I thought I'd better check into it.

Thanks for the encouragement and the search tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are new to sngs, which means you inevitably have leaks. You are right to come looking for answers.

Like others have said, look into the FAQ to learn ICM. You may not be doing a good job gathering chips to give your self much of a chance heads up. Or, you may just be experience variance. Who knows...but keep looking for ways to improve.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like others have said, look into the FAQ to learn ICM. You may not be doing a good job gathering chips to give your self much of a chance heads up. Or, you may just be experience variance. Who knows...but keep looking for ways to improve.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not meaning to piggyback on your thread, but I'm also a n00b, and I am having issues where more often than not I am getting to the bubble (4 or 5 left) with a short stack, leaving myself in situations where I'm pushing light to try and double up and get in the money. Looking at my numbers (small size - < 100 SNGs) I have more 4ths and 5ths than all other spots combined. Is that standard, or am I playing too tight early? Have any tips for that?
Old 01-19-2007, 03:57 PM

4ths and 5ths can be standard enough as long as they are taking the place of the 7/8/9th rather than the ITM spots. Its a common issue with the super-tight then pushbot style, maybe you should check up to make sure you are not waiting *too* long to start pushing... post a few hands.

Cheers, Mark
http://plan3tgongpoker.blogspot.com
Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM

Every one's distribution will look a little different. However, if I recall correctly, I had a lot more 5ths than any other position except maybe firsts. Then a drastic decrease in fourths, and then increasing ITM. Ie. 1>2>3>4<5. Fourths may have been higher than 3rds.

I refuse to look at my sng database to confirm. The thought of playing a sng still makes me cringe.