Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 08:19 PM

Default Sheets made a really bad call... PokerXFactor hand

Just got PokerXFactor, i'm watching sheets play a MTT ["PS Win" 3/9/06]. Hand 140 with 25bb, he makes a 3bb raise from middle position with ATs. Next in goes all in for 22bb with 4 players behind. Sheets calls the extra 19bb, essentially his entire stack.

The cost was 3800 for a 5500 chip pot.

Seems to me like ATs is pretty far behind the likely range of a 22bb allin reraise. He's getting about 3:2 calling odds, so ATs is barely an okay call against a range like 77+/AT+/KQ. Against a perhaps more likely range of 99+/AQ+, even a hand much stronger like AQ is roughly borderline.

I doubly dislike it since the call is for his whole stack. If he folds here he keeps a 21bb stack, a decent option. With a much taller stack (perhaps 50-60bb+) i could see affording a call here. But surely making allin calls with borderline pot odds isn't the way to win tournaments...

The only defense i can think of for the call here would be to send a message to any watching players that he doesn't fold lighly to a resteal... hard to quanitify the value of that.

So... what do you think? Would you call here as he did? If so, what's your reasoning?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Sheets made a really bad call... PokerXFactor hand

He could be shooting for a high-variance, high-hourly-rate style. If the odds are close, then it's not THAT wrong either way, and if he wins the pot he's in a good position (poised to take it all!!111) with a good image. I'm sure he's got many other tables going in other windows, and this might be one of those plays that hurts his chance in this individual donkament, but increases hourly rate and chance for a big score. I don't know anything about the guy, this could be way off, but it's something to consider until somebody shows up with a real answer.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:09 PM

Default Re: Sheets made a really bad call... PokerXFactor hand

it was suited.