Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2006, 04:03 AM

Default Re: tutoring

[ QUOTE ]

No, getting your credentials entails taking an entirely different set of coursework that you probably didn't take as an undergraduate.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored]!

I'm thinking of moving to california. in some northeast states you can get a job as a teacher without all the required courses, and take required courses as you teach. is it the same way in california?

I generally do fairly well on standardised tests, so whatever! I guess I'll have to study for them as I would for the GRE/LSATs, etc.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:47 AM

They've been toughening up some things, but for a long time California has been a place where you can take your classes as you teach, especially if you speak Spanish.

That's very big in California. They've actually let many people into teaching who have nothing behind them but being bilingual. I'd highly advise learning to speak it if you don't already; it's a big help and schools and government jobs love it and sometimes will pay a premium for it.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No, getting your credentials entails taking an entirely different set of coursework that you probably didn't take as an undergraduate.

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored]!

I'm thinking of moving to california. in some northeast states you can get a job as a teacher without all the required courses, and take required courses as you teach. is it the same way in california?

I generally do fairly well on standardised tests, so whatever! I guess I'll have to study for them as I would for the GRE/LSATs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

with the No Child Left Behind thing in effect, the days are basically gone where you can start teaching without a credential.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[censored]!

[/ QUOTE ]

with the No Child Left Behind thing in effect, the days are basically gone where you can start teaching without a credential.

[/ QUOTE ]

In some states (I know Louisiana was one), there are fast-track programs for people who have bachelor's degrees and want certification. I know I had many certification-only graduate students. I believe the Teach for America program does not require certification, but you would need to check on that. Many private schools do not require certification. The top-of-the-line very expensive private school my son attended almost never hired people who went to local state schools and had certification. They hired young people fresh out of the Ivy League and people with doctoral degrees (I doubt if any of them had certification), and they paid good money. OTOH marginal private schools (often under religious auspices) also hire teachers without certification (and sometimes without degrees) and don't pay much.

I taught countless English ed majors and certification-only grad students in a large urban state university. I was extremely unimpressed with their capabilities, and that was one of many reasons I did not send my child to public school.

It sounds to me like you are a candidate either for private school teaching or for one of the non-traditional teacher training programs out there. Check in the state(s) of your choice.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:36 PM

thanks a lot everyone! this just expanded my to-do list. I'm not planning on teaching high school straight out if I ever do, so I have time to fulfill a lot of these things. I just like to have options.