Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Tuesday start?

Dean,

What do you mean by flying under the radar so effivley? I had him pegged as one of the biggest or THE biggest winner in the party 10-20 games for a long time. BLD had a big track record before people even started to know who he was as well. And since party hsa gone, no one even has managed to figure out who Samo was despite his playing stlye, so yeah it would definitly follow logically that he could be that good at "flying under the radar".

As far as the databases go, they all co-oberate with one another so if one missed it i am pretty sure they all would have.

As far as the 11k thing, yeah i mean it seems ridiculous to believe, but then again he seemed so utterly shocked at losing 40 buy ins and it seemed like it was exponentially worse than anything he had experienced. I mean it promted one of the best players in the games to drop back down to 5-10... so i don't really know what to say to you here. If the odds of that occurance (not having more than an 11k downer in 2 years at those stakes) are 1,000,000,000 to one, than it's going to happen to someone right?

Basically, while there are things that are far fetched, we're talking about poker, statistical anomolies occur, and some are ridiculous. Like FSU said, it's fine if you don't believe him. It is however, another thing to repeatedly accuse him of lying, chastize him, and draw analogies to people molesting children when you in fact have no strong evenidence other than incredulousness (not a word i know) and intution is wrong. Surley you see that?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the databases go, they all co-oberate with one another so if one missed it i am pretty sure they all would have.

[/ QUOTE ]

apologies if your entire post was a joke, but what on earth do you mean by the above? the databases certainly don't "co-operate" so there is no reason at all to think that on dbase missing someone would mean they all would.

c
Old 01-18-2007, 02:28 PM

GGB,

This is the second time you've used the word "co-oberate. Just thought you should know it's corroborate.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
GGB,

This is the second time you've used the word "co-oberate. Just thought you should know it's corroborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwf,

it was my fear he meant corroborate. obviously them corroborating doesn't mean what ggb said it does either.

c
Old 01-18-2007, 02:57 PM

I misspell lots of words. I will probably do it again in this post. But those sites do corroborate of however u spell it, with one another. Hendon Mod thanks cardplayer for helping them keep up the database... so if there is an ommission i think it becomes itcreasingly likely that it gets overlooked by the DB's as well FWIW.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Evan,

thanks for reminding us about the 11k downswing claim. That is my favorite Samo lie, can't believe I forgot it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to recall (but I don't have time to look it up) Sam elaborating that he was never down more than 11k at the end of a session, which is different from saying that he was never down more than 11k somewhere in the middle. The first is more believable than the second. Also, during much of this time, the games used to be far weaker - players with a substantial edge over their opponents tend to have smaller downswings.

His claim doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility for someone who both has the stamina to play long sessions to recoup and who is also not prone to tilt. Most huge losing sessions only happen in part because a player is running bad. The rest of the losses occur because the player running bad starts to go on tilt, makes mistakes, and donks off the rest.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:10 PM

thanks for the post student - I actually did not even count my wins or losses until the end of the week anyway, so that reduced my variance even further ...