Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Default A8s in the BB - passive line?

I've started taking some shots at 5/T so I don't have a lot of stats nor reads. The following stats are based on about 50 hands.

UTG - 80/30/.6
CO - 30/14/3

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Flop: I figured WA/WB on this board was the way to go, and didn't mind if UTG stuck around.

Turn: (4.20 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: Stay passive? Donk/call? I didn't like check/raising here, because a better hand is never folding and I just end up charging myself if I'm drawing. I'm obviously not folding, and maybe donking here would avoid giving free cards if I'm ahead.

River: (6.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: Since I got here and I have TP, I call.

What if the turn was 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]?

I don't know if this hand is interesting or not, but I do know I'm not sure how to play it. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: A8s in the BB - passive line?

Ca Ca is good and standard here I think. Sometimes donk the river especially because of the K, and sometimes check call. 5/10 is probably the first place you'll find good players who are overaggressive so let them keep betting.

Donking the turn doesn't really serve any more purpose than C/Ring here unless you think he's going to call twice w/ a K.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:17 PM

I would donk the river. Don't let him check behind with pocket pairs, KQ or KJ. If I had a solid read, I might be able to bet/fold, but most of the time, I would bet/call.

More often than not you won't get raised even when you are behind, though, and sometimes the donk will provoke a bluffraise.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Looks OK to me.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:10 PM

I would C/R flop, B/C turn, and Bet river if called on the turn. You want to take control of the hand early on here.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would C/R flop, B/C turn, and Bet river if called on the turn. You want to take control of the hand early on here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I would expect to fold worse hands and get raised by better ones. Wouldn't that be the worse of both worlds?
Old 01-18-2007, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I would expect to fold worse hands and get raised by better ones. Wouldn't that be the worse of both worlds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd prefer to knock UTG out on the flop, and I don't see anything wrong with taking the pot down on the flop. The line you want to take lets your opponent dictate the action when you should be the one controlling it.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:52 PM

I don't really mind UTG in the pot. If you consider his hange range (top 80% of starting hands minus the top 30%), he is usually drawing slim.

C/r'ing the flop will let CO pound me with good aces and let him fold hands that I want him to keep betting.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I don't think the pot is large enough to take that aggressive a line in this case, nor will it be, and you're already HU by the turn.