Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Is it worth moving to a new country?

[ QUOTE ]
Thailand sounds interesting. I don't like smoke though.

What are the winters like there?

How would you compare the overall cost of living there in a big city to a big city in the US?

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, the pros and cons he gave are for Hungary, not Thailand.

Thailand is dirt cheap. Most of the countries that will let you move there are. Thailand is pretty damn hot though from what I hear. Hence the reason I like Buenos Aires. It's a slightly humid California. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2007, 02:24 PM

sandv,

there is a big thread in OOT, other off topics, about thailand, writen by degen. a search will help.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:27 PM

How long have you lived in Buenos Aires?

Does everyone understand and speak english for the most part?

What is the cost of living like there?

What is it like living there? night life? people? beaches? shopping? houses?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:31 PM

Macau is an up and comer. Wynn seems to think so, anyway.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:32 PM

well i'd take issue with referring to CR as a 3rd world country. And for some, the drawback aren't at all apparent. (I'd take living in Costa Rica, Nica, Mexico, Ghana, Thailand, or Guatemala over the US anyday - poker or no poker) If you had specifics, like hey xyz has a major problem with a crime so look at housing in abc instead it might be different. characterizing one of the wealthiest, cleanest, and most beautiful countries in Latin America as "3rd world" as if that actually says anything is pretty irelevant.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:36 PM

Clearly millions of mexicans agree with you.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well i'd take issue with referring to CR as a 3rd world country. And for some, the drawback aren't at all apparent. (I'd take living in Costa Rica, Nica, Mexico, Ghana, Thailand, or Guatemala over the US anyday - poker or no poker) If you had specifics, like hey xyz has a major problem with a crime so look at housing in abc instead it might be different. characterizing one of the wealthiest, cleanest, and most beautiful countries in Latin America as "3rd world" as if that actually says anything is pretty irelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many times have you been to Costa Rica? What is the cost of living like that? How are americans treated? What are the people like? What is there for entertainment? What are the shops and food like?
Old 01-18-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly millions of mexicans agree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2007, 02:41 PM

is what google is for :P lots of message boards online for expatriates - or try lonely planet message boards for travel info
Old 01-18-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long have you lived in Buenos Aires?

[/ QUOTE ]

I only just moved here about half a month ago, but I already love it. I have two 2+2er friends here. One has been here for a year and a half. The other for almost a year. Both think it is an awesome city and I'm inclined to agree. Definitely the top 3 I've ever been to.

[ QUOTE ]
Does everyone understand and speak english for the most part?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not everyone or even the majority. They don't teach English in school here. Certain people in the service industry (at very nice restaurants and clubs.. but let's be fair a nice restaurant is like $8-12) or people that cater to tourists do for the most part. So do the upper-middle class and wealthier girls whose families can afford private tutors. Since if you move here you are immediately upper-middle class that isn't as huge of a problem as you think.

BUT I think if your intent is to live here you have to at least be willing (if not want) to learn Spanish. You don't have to speak it when you get here... there is a semi-support network in place that can help you and there are companies that cater to tourists (drivers and apartment companies) that provide enough for you to get here and get settled. But to really enjoy it I'd recommend 10 hours of Spanish classes a week; without it, you aren't truly getting the full experience and a lot of things are a pain in the ass if you don't speak Spanish.

[ QUOTE ]
What is the cost of living like there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesomely cheap. Take the cost of most things in the United States and divide by 3. For example: taxis almost anywhere in the city are $2-3, subways or buses are under 30 cents, haircuts are $3-4 or $8-12 if you go to an expensive stylist, a nice steak dinner is probably $6-8 with a good bottle of wine costing $2 at a grocery store or maybe $6-8 at a nice restaurant (Argentina is home of the Malbec varietal and there is a huge wine country in Mendoza), empanadas (meat filled pastries that are awesome for lunch or late night) are 60 cents each with 2-3 of them filling me up, a pitcher of beer 3L is about $2.50 at the non-tourist bars, etc. You get the idea.

Things that aren't Argentine, however, are usually only slightly cheaper than in the United States. For example McDonald's is about $4 for a meal, Coke is about $1.10 for a 2.25L bottle, most electronics are actually more expensive because of a 50% import tax on electronics.

As for apartments, it depends on your needs. I live in probably the nicest neighborhood in town in a one bedroom furnished apartment with nice furnishings and appliances including utilities and internet/phone and it costs me $975 per month. Even in my same neighborhood, if I went to a more reasonable place I could probably spend $700. If you live in Palermo or Barrio Norte instead you can get a place for $500 furnished. If you can get a local friend to get you a lease, you can get unfurnished places for $200-300 per month depending on your location (probably even cheaper but you wouldn't want to live there).

[ QUOTE ]
What is it like living there? night life? people? beaches? shopping? houses?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's pretty awesome. The Argentine people do thinks a bit later than in the USA. For example, most businesses don't open until 10. Places for dinner don't really open until 9 at night and are usually open past 1 am. If you go out to a bar, don't go before midnight or a club probably before 1-2 AM. If you go clubbing, expect to be there until the sun comes up.

The night life is incredible and I've heard it called the best in the world by many different sources. I'm inclined to agree as there is just such an incredible variety of bars, clubs, theatre, and restaurants that it's hard not to find something to do.

Argentina has some beautiful beaches, but not in Buenos Aires city itself. However, its like a $10 bus ride that will take you to any of the many beach towns within a few hours of the city. As for shopping, there are plenty of products you are used to in the USA as well as Argentine things as well. I assume you mean clothes here. Tailor made suits are fairly cheap comparatively since all labor here is pretty cheap (did I mention maids are $2 per hour?). There is also a lot of leather made goods here for cheap since Argentines eat a crapload of beef all grown locally.

I think I may have missed some questions but don't hesitate to ask.