Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2006, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Theory post: on reraising PF in the blinds

[ QUOTE ]
I just re-raise with any hand i think is better than what my opponent is raising. OR, if i feel like making a move on him, i'll RR with "NE2" and the intent of outplaying him postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course!

the first part of your statement is more wrong than the latter.

or at least better is poorly defined, in our mind and, most likely, yours.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:59 AM

Word. Just b/c your hand is better on average than your opponent's holding, it doesn't mean you should automatically re-raise.

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 51.0219 % 47.17% 03.85% { A9o }
Hand 2: 48.9781 % 45.12% 03.85% { 22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, 76s, 65s, 54s, 43s, 32s, A2o+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo }

A9o is on average better than a person raising 30% of the time on the button, but that doesn't mean you should just stick in a re-raise.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:31 AM

If your opponent is opening 35% on the button but is only calling AJs+/AQo+/TT+. Then you can reraise him with a wide range as his hand is well defined and yours is not.

I think this is what cero is getting at. A good deal of the value from the 3bet is information about your opponents hand if he only calls with good hands, or the ability to get in money when you have him crushed preflop.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your opponent is opening 35% on the button but is only calling AJs+/AQo+/TT+. Then you can reraise him with a wide range as his hand is well defined and yours is not.

I think this is what cero is getting at. A good deal of the value from the 3bet is information about your opponents hand if he only calls with good hands, or the ability to get in money when you have him crushed preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone not call with a pocket pair? I kinda assumed they all do
Old 11-16-2006, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

does anyone not call with a pocket pair? I kinda assumed they all do

[/ QUOTE ]

if playing 100 bb's deep and the reraise is to 9-10 bbs (often), and the player who raised initially with the small pair is unwilling to play a big pot either due to his inexperience or the otehr guy's high ability, then they are essentially playing for even money GIVEN that they win the rest of their stack if a set is hit. However, if the reraiser is raising lightly, with hands like 98s, then it may not be profitable to call with the small pair in hopes of hitting a set and then stacking because what is there to stack?

Sometimes players should fold the small pair because they dont know how to play postflop, they are just set mining with them.

so... 4 bet a light reraiser? yes.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi JooWish,

People may want to appear superior, but these are good questions. This is without question, then #1 thing I get asked about in coaching sessions. People want to know which hands they should reraise with, which ones they should defend their own open-raise with, how to deal with the players who reraise a very wide range, or all of the above.

I'm not going to make a detailed post about this question right now, because it would be LONG, and I'm not up to it. But, IMO, lots of players who think they have this down, have serious flaws in their thinking. One way to demonstrate this is to see the great success that a couple of 10/20 regulars from this board have had. Though they are basically mediocre or weak post-flop, they have this one wrinkle to their game: frequent pre-flop reraises. They beat the general public, which includes the middle of the road pros, pretty handily. But, when they play tough, flexible players shorthanded, they get their clocks cleaned, despite the fact that their hourly rate may be higher overall than the players who crush them. The fact that these players have thrived for so long indicates to me that many winning players don't know the answers to your questions above.

I'll just say this, for now. To know which hands to reraise with, and how to proceed post-flop, you should start by grouping your opponents into a few different categories: those who'll almost never call a reraise, those who'll call with most non-trash hands that they raised with, and those who mix it up, but may call or 4-bet with both ends of the spectrum. Then, you have to do some math. LOL maybe that's too cryptic, but that's it for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you pleeeassse go into more detail here? This is a play I make all the time but the more I think about it the more I realize I don't *actually* understand why (or if) it's profitable. PM me for FTP transfer if it'll get you to answer. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2006, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi JooWish,

People may want to appear superior, but these are good questions. This is without question, then #1 thing I get asked about in coaching sessions. People want to know which hands they should reraise with, which ones they should defend their own open-raise with, how to deal with the players who reraise a very wide range, or all of the above.

I'm not going to make a detailed post about this question right now, because it would be LONG, and I'm not up to it. But, IMO, lots of players who think they have this down, have serious flaws in their thinking. One way to demonstrate this is to see the great success that a couple of 10/20 regulars from this board have had. Though they are basically mediocre or weak post-flop, they have this one wrinkle to their game: frequent pre-flop reraises. They beat the general public, which includes the middle of the road pros, pretty handily. But, when they play tough, flexible players shorthanded, they get their clocks cleaned, despite the fact that their hourly rate may be higher overall than the players who crush them. The fact that these players have thrived for so long indicates to me that many winning players don't know the answers to your questions above.

I'll just say this, for now. To know which hands to reraise with, and how to proceed post-flop, you should start by grouping your opponents into a few different categories: those who'll almost never call a reraise, those who'll call with most non-trash hands that they raised with, and those who mix it up, but may call or 4-bet with both ends of the spectrum. Then, you have to do some math. LOL maybe that's too cryptic, but that's it for now.

[/ QUOTE ]

just read this, and i couldnt agree more.

one thing, i will state it as a fact, (obviously can be argued!) is:

Online pros have huge egos. That ego, mainly from being able to play NLH really well, makes them think they are far superior to any other poker player. (this could be true) however, what they dont realize, is their great strength is pretty much their only strength; incredibly strong preflop play with regard to 100xbb and similar stacks. They are far better at evaluating situations and adjusting then live pros / fish, which is a huge reason alot of players make alot of money.

On a personal level, when I first started winning a bunch of years ago, I didnt really know why. I did know I was far more aggressive preflop, and just followed through on the flop, and didnt really add hand reading or anything until much later. What's amazing is that strength alone (done well enough) can make someone a winner in a 100xbb online game.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:40 AM

It's a shame that PT can't record 3-bet/4-bet rates preflop. I guess this is the kind of thing where you have to go and look through the player's hands...
Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a shame that PT can't record 3-bet/4-bet rates preflop. I guess this is the kind of thing where you have to go and look through the player's hands...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 01-17-2007, 09:49 PM

i agree with aejones here